Vista crashed, I'v had Windows 7 installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This old laptop crashed too many times & my pal installed Windows 7 and all is good. I am not so PC savy but get around enough to screw things up. All is good except I notice thatthe brightness control for my screen seems to be stuck in low power mode and I like it bright due to being half blind. I can't get it to function by the "fn" key & up/dn control. I have gone into the settings and unable to change it. Can anyone help?

Go into Windows' Control Panel and select Power Options. Look at what plan you're configured to use and what that plan's brightness settings are. If you're using the Power Saver plan and running on battery power, I believe the default setting(s) is a relatively low brightness.

what make and model is the laptop exactly, you may need to install drivers for the hotkeys..i can look up some drivers for ya.. ive seen a few HP's at my company that need the hp hotkey drivers for it to function correctly.. the big question is.. do they have those drivers for 7 yet if the vista drivers are incompatible/ not preloaded.

Last edited:
Gateway ML6732 is the laptop model. It will usually dim the screen when I unplug power and brighten up when plugged back in. It might have something to do it the keys. I have never had to deal with the brightness before. I will attempt to look into the "hot keys"

Originally Posted By: willix
It will usually dim the screen when I unplug power and brighten up when plugged back in.

That is characteristic of the Power Saver plan. By default, brightness on battery power is about 40% and brightness when plugged in is 100%. I think changing those brightness settings is all you'll need to do.

i looked into it, not seeing any hotkey drivers, but then again gateway support usually sucks something awful. my advice is install the gateway graphics driver for windows vista, i would send a link but i dont know if your running 64 or 32 bit windows 7..

Originally Posted By: mc2lizard
my advice is install the gateway graphics driver for windows vista

I would advise against that, but that's just my opinion. I don't think I've ever seen a case where a graphics driver was the controlling entity over the brightness of an LCD screen.

If you want the brightness to be 100% all the time, I think all you'll need to do is adjust the settings in the power plan. Getting the keys on the keyboard to work is a separate thing and I don't have any suggestions there.

We've run into that on different laptops every so often. Some of the causes:

Power Plan settings need adjusting.
Windows Update installed a video driver that doesn't include the functionality provided by the original/OEM driver.
Corrupted/broken video driver.
Incorrect video driver.
Non-video Widows Update interfering with installed video driver.

Originally Posted By: mc2lizard
...my advice is install the gateway graphics driver for windows vista....

Mine, too. I suspect your laptop is using a generic video driver from the Win7 install media. If Gateway doesn't have an official Win7 video driver for your machine, there's a good chance the Vista version will work correctly. Download it and try it out.

This problem has resolved itself and is work as it was before. I don't have a clue why? But all is good & normal again.

LOL, glad to hear it. Your computer must have learned that you were talking to the rest of us and that it'd get fixed one way or another. Computers do that... they know when you're talking about them. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back