Visiting Atlanta, GA

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject says, will be heading up there in a few weeks to visit the wife while she is at a training center.

I know we will go to World of Coke and the Georgia Aquarium, is there anything else to see? Anybody know of good "hole in the wall" type restaurants? It's been a while since I've been through the city but everyone I know tells me it's a great place to visit and has a lot of good restaurants, but IMO the best places to eat aren't always a Five Star rated place with white linen table cloths.

Any help is appreciated!

(If anyone was curious about the vehicle i'm taking, it will be the Corolla)

Last edited:
Hop down to Auburn and see the trees at Toomer's corner. They wont be there much longer, IMO.

Have some great BBQ along the way.

If you like Chicago pizza, Aurelio's is on the north side, it's supposed to be spot-on the same as the Homewood, IL and Munster, IN locations. I haven't made it there yet, but according to those who like a non-thick Chicago pizza, it is the bomb.

Man V Food TV show highlighted a couple places to eat: Gladys Knight and Ron Winans' Chicken & Waffles
http://www.foodiebuddha.com/2009/01/21/m...pie-in-the-sky/

and the Vortex for huge burgers:
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009...ta-georgia.html

As a former Atlanta resident, I have to tell you that the best part of Atlanta is Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
.... for getting the heck OUT of Atlanta!!

The Varsity is a real old time car hop drive in thats still run the same way as years ago. the original location is still there even though they have some other locations.
http://thevarsity.com/

Last edited:
I'll second the suggestion of Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles. I also enjoyed the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and the (I can't recall the name of it) Civil War memorial in Grant Park that shows the painting "The Battle of Atlanta." Both are well worth the time. If the day is sunny and warm budget some time for a stroll in the park or on the grounds of the library. As a tourist in that city I ran out of time! Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
If you like Chicago pizza, Aurelio's is on the north side, it's supposed to be spot-on the same as the Homewood, IL and Munster, IN locations. I haven't made it there yet, but according to those who like a non-thick Chicago pizza, it is the bomb.

Man V Food TV show highlighted a couple places to eat: Gladys Knight and Ron Winans' Chicken & Waffles
http://www.foodiebuddha.com/2009/01/21/m...pie-in-the-sky/

and the Vortex for huge burgers:
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009...ta-georgia.html

You are awesome! I've been searching for this all night!

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
As a former Atlanta resident, I have to tell you that the best part of Atlanta is Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)

Amen to that. Glad i'm driving.

Anybody else care to chime in?

Last edited:

crackmeup2.gif

Having driven through Atlanta many times, I have to admit I try to get through it as quick as possible. I've mostly seen it from I-85 and I-20. I cut straight through downtown since that's quicker than 285.

I have heard good things about the Varsity restaurant and the aquarium though.

I like to eat and drink at the Gordon Biersch in Buckhead, I greatly prefer Zesto's food over the Varsity but when I do eat at the Varsity I prefer the Junior Varsity off of Jimmy Carter Blvd for ease of access.

For BBQ I head over to Austell and eat at Wallace's BBQ. It's just plain old Good!

Christmas time at Stone Mountain is pleasant too. With temperatures in the 70's at the moment it's more like spring time than winter but still a great way to spend the day. I love to hike to the top but you can ride the gondola if hiking isn't your thing. I've never ridden the train around the park so I can't comment on that. I also like to hike at Kennesaw mountain. It's a drive but fun for a free Saturday. If you have a bicycle then riding the Silver Comet trail is fun too. It's a old railroad line where they've removed the tracks and paved a bicycle path. You can ride all the way into Alabama if you wish.

The aquarium is a definite spot to visit. Otherwise I don't spend much time in the city. It's croweded, the roads are hard to navigate and the city has a contract with a parking company that will boot your car in a heartbeat. Be VERY CAREFUL where you park.. and moreso when it gets dark.

Living intown the best BBQ joint is Fox Brothers on Dekalb Ave.

I would recommend a visit.

Fox Brothers BBQ

Stone Mountain is very nice too.

World of Coke..not so much. Avoid Underground Atlanta unless you are well armed.

Try the Flying Biscuit Cafe after you get your fill of barbecue.

I have always gone to the original Candler Park location at 1655 McLendon Ave., but there are several newer franchises around the city.

There's a Summit Racing store off I-75 south of Atlanta at McDonough, GA, in case you want to browse Red Line products or just shiny car stuff.

I have family who were there, and now actively avoid Atlanta.

My wife and I both have family that live outside the city, out in the country. Mine on the west side and hers on the north side. I'll be up there in a few weeks actually. We rarely go into the city.

I would avoid the Coke place and Aquarium. Over crowded tourist traps. Stone Mountain is ok; its neat for us southern folk who aren't used to rocks sticking out of the ground. It's kinda touristy as well but not too bad. If you're into aviation the airport is one of the busiest in the world and its right on top of the interstate on the south side of the city. You'll probably see that coming in though. Another cool thing this time of year is the Christmas Lights on Lake Lanier. 20 year tradition of miles and miles of lights. You stay in your car and drive through.

Lots of good places to eat. I'd get online and look up some local places that have food you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back