Viscosity Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a real life, hands on test. It made me think about wanting to try it with a new batch of Rotella 5W-40 and some used, very black oil of the same.

You could certainly check for relative sheering to a lower viscosity I think. Would you do it at 100º C using glass or higher temp containers?

Thanks Old, it's nice to see science and physical testing on here rather than speculation.

This place is full of arm chair mechanics.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
Thanks Old, it's nice to see science and physical testing on here rather than speculation.

This place is full of arm chair mechanics.

Very true sir!

Based on the recent thread where all the "data" is coming from the Widman Visc calc, it would be nice to see M1 10w30, 5w30 and 0w30 run through THIS test to see how that compares (or doesn't).

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Do all three of these oils have identical density?

The 0W40 density was 0.85; the 10W40 was 0.860; and the 5W20 was 0.852.

Should I be making a correction for density? If so, how?

I have done some research into the Saybolt viscometer, and found that it is similar in principle to the dishwasher detergent bottle viscometer you came up with. Here is a link to a page that shows a diagram:

http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/14105/css/14105_36.htm

This page also gives the equations required to convert Saybolt Universal Seconds to centistokes. If you assume that your viscometer is analogous to the Saybolt, you could calculate the viscosities demonstrated in your tests and see how they compare to PDS values.

For times between 32 and 100 seconds, viscosity is calculated by:
KV = .226 x t - (195/t)

For times over 100 seconds, viscosity is calculated by:
KV = .220 x t - (135/t)

Judging from the flow time you got for water, it seems like your viscometer behaves similarly to the Saybolt. Water has a KV of ~1 centistoke, and 1 cS converts to 31 Saybolt seconds. You got 29 seconds in your test, so based on that one reading, it's not far off.

If you did tests at 100F, you could compare your measured KV's to those that are published on the PDS's.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the info. Looks like if I adjust my lines, I could easily get to 31 seconds. And with the temps we've been having lately, 100*F should be achievable at about 3 pm every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back