Virgin Oil Cleanliness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a project that gave me access to some virgin oil cleanliness information all done on the same optical tester. Wanna know the average ISO 4406 Cleanliness code?:

20/19/17

That means in one ml of oil, there are:

>4um= 5-10,000 particles
>6um= 2500-5000 particles
>14um= 640-1300 particles

I can't release the brand names and individual results just yet, but the cleanest motor oil on the list was 19/18/17 and the dirtiest was 23/21/16. All were taken from unopened jugs, one gallon or smaller.

Anyone else seen any info on virgin motor oil cleanliness? Comments?

I don't know very much about this sort of thing. Is this measuring anything in those size ranges, or is this contamination only?

Originally Posted By: cchase
I don't know very much about this sort of thing. Is this measuring anything in those size ranges, or is this contamination only?

Contamination. Basically anything not supposed to be in there by design.

I suspect that some of it is caused by blenders not flushing their lines often enough, cutting down on expense. API probably has a requirement for flushing, especially between blending different formulas. I seem to remember a scandal about some blenders actually selling flush oil as API certified. I think I saw it on PQIA, but could be wrong.

Is there a standard for cleanliness for virgin oil that it is supposed to meet by design or is it up to faith in the company's practices?

If there is a standard, I have not found it published. Seems to vary alot. I have other numbers from other sources that run higher and lower than the average I listed, with some of the high end oils being filtered a little better. Bulk oil always seems the dirtiest with bottle oil the cleanest.

makes since. I mean how much would a qt of oil cost if it was made in a NASA clean room?

still interesting though. Maybe they figure if it is cleaner than what the avg filter can filter out that is good enough. I also remember your post in the bypass section that with one of your bypass setups it had your used oil "cleaner" than virgin
laugh.gif

Good one jmsjags! I always prefill. I wonder if an oil such as G-Oil would have lower numbers since it is not from underground. Or at least less of it is from underground. Or what about NextGen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back