Virgin Fram FS8A Titanium oil filter cut open vs Fram XG8A oil filter

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by 340_Magnum
I bought a cartridge type Titanium the other day for my 3.6 Colorado. The box said synthetic blend media. I was thinking that both the Titanium and Ultra were synthetic media filters? I'm not complaining but $15 for a blend filter is kinda steep.

Yeah, something is weird in the labeling. It says synthetic blend media, but is the same media that is in the Ultra, and that is advertised as a dual layer full synthetic media.

The Ultra and Titanium both have the same efficiency and max use rating, so I'd think the media is the same. Why would AAP and Fram spend time and money to develope a different media that coincidentally has the same ratings? Fram probably just charged accordingly to use the same existing Ultra media - that would be the logical thing to do when creating a newly branded filter. Purolator does it all the time.

Originally Posted by 340_Magnum
I bought a cartridge type Titanium the other day for my 3.6 Colorado. The box said synthetic blend media. I was thinking that both the Titanium and Ultra were synthetic media filters? I'm not complaining but $15 for a blend filter is kinda steep.

The element is two layers of synthetic which can be correctly called a synthetic blend. Whoever wrote the words on the box doesn't know the jargon synthetic blend means usually cellulose and synthetic mixed. Synthetic blend the two words have no cellulose stated in them. That's my reckoning of word use, but I am no Moses with the stone tablets so humbly say in my opinion. Trico did fire the old and hire new people.

Reckoning is right. Who cares what it really is if it's 99+% @ 20u and rated for up to 20K miles.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by blufeb95
Those shape of holes aren't new and are used on many other Fram Ultra filters, the XG9837 and XG7317 I have in my garage have those shaped holes on the tapping plate, there was no real engineering involved just cutting different shaped holes into the tapping plate for the XG8 I'm sure they already had machinery well capable of it since they use them on other filters.

I've never seen the tear drop holes in any Fram branded filters, nor any posted here. Can you post some photos and filter date codes?

I guess they're more like rounded trapezoids but I assume that the tear drop shape would be machined pretty much the same as the rounded trapezoidal holes
These odd shaped holes are surely worth a slight increase in price.

Back