Virgin Fram FS8A Titanium oil filter cut open vs Fram XG8A oil filter

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by rollinpete
Fram FS8A Titanium Oil Filter Cut Open on the left, compared to an XG8A Ultra on the right.

A comparison to it's older brother the Fram XG Ultra
smile.gif

What look's the same:
Silicone Anti drain back valve
Filter media
Bypass valve
Overall size

What's not the same:
Base plate has larger pear shaped holes
Black rough coating over the entire filter
To Me it's basically the same filter with larger base plate holes, and a black coating that probably retains more heat.
$14.99 AAP vs $8.97 WM, By the way did Walmart go up on there filters recently? I thought the Ultras were closer to 8 bucks
crazy2.gif

Enjoy the Pic's
Below is also a video of the comparison.

It's apparent that Fram Titanium and Fram Force are just rebranded Fram Ultra and Fram Tough Guard, respectively, for Advance Auto Parts.

The holes have probably been updated on Fram Ultra as well.

They are not just "rebadged" Frams, there are differences. And Fram is not going to make the same changes to the Fram brand line. Read the thread I started about Fram vs AAP, which has a chat discussion with Fram.

rollinpete - thanks for sharing.

I wonder about that ZeeOSix. Why would Trico spend the money to engineer and develop those tear drop holes for just one filter product line ?

Originally Posted by PimTac

I wonder about that ZeeOSix. Why would Trico spend the money to engineer and develop those tear drop holes for just one filter product line ?

Because the price of the Titanium makes people want to cry.

Fram Ultra remains the value leader.

The Titanium is an Ultra with window dressing.

I have a Titanium on my Lincoln mkc right now. Bought one on a whim and in a tight spot (I was in the store and needed something). Honestly I had never seen or heard of these AAP versions before that day. After seeing this though, I'll make sure I have the Ultras in my garage next time and save myself $6.
11.gif

Fram said the new holes will not be used on the Fram line - it's only for thevAAP line. Guess they needed something different to attract sales.

Doesn't take much to redesign holes and come up with some trademark name and fancy marketing. The plus about the new holes is they look cool and have more flow area, meaning less delta-p at the same flow.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Still no new gasket on the Titanium! Would it be possible to cut some media off both of them & see if there's any difference? Just watch your fingers, the steel mesh is pretty sharp.

Thank's for the request, here's a better dissection of these filters. Titanium in left hand, Ultra in right hand.
JMHO To me the filter media looks and feels the same, if there"s a difference they sure hide it well.

Video below pic's

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Titanium on Top ↓ Both Look to be two ply
[Linked Image]

Ultra on bottom ↑

Click here for Video

Fram said the media was the same in the chat session I had with them - see the thread I posted about the chat.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by rollinpete
Fram FS8A Titanium Oil Filter Cut Open on the left, compared to an XG8A Ultra on the right.

A comparison to it's older brother the Fram XG Ultra
smile.gif

What look's the same:
Silicone Anti drain back valve
Filter media
Bypass valve
Overall size

What's not the same:
Base plate has larger pear shaped holes
Black rough coating over the entire filter
To Me it's basically the same filter with larger base plate holes, and a black coating that probably retains more heat.
$14.99 AAP vs $8.97 WM, By the way did Walmart go up on there filters recently? I thought the Ultras were closer to 8 bucks
crazy2.gif

Enjoy the Pic's
Below is also a video of the comparison.

It's apparent that Fram Titanium and Fram Force are just rebranded Fram Ultra and Fram Tough Guard, respectively, for Advance Auto Parts.

The holes have probably been updated on Fram Ultra as well.

They are not just "rebadged" Frams, there are differences. And Fram is not going to make the same changes to the Fram brand line. Read the thread I started about Fram vs AAP, which has a chat discussion with Fram.

rollinpete - thanks for sharing.

Those shape of holes aren't new and are used on many other Fram Ultra filters, the XG9837 and XG7317 I have in my garage have those shaped holes on the tapping plate, there was no real engineering involved just cutting different shaped holes into the tapping plate for the XG8 I'm sure they already had machinery well capable of it since they use them on other filters.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Those shape of holes aren't new and are used on many other Fram Ultra filters, the XG9837 and XG7317 I have in my garage have those shaped holes on the tapping plate, there was no real engineering involved just cutting different shaped holes into the tapping plate for the XG8 I'm sure they already had machinery well capable of it since they use them on other filters.

I've never seen the tear drop holes in any Fram branded filters, nor any posted here. Can you post some photos and filter date codes?

I've never seen the tear drop holes in any Fram branded filters, nor any posted here. Can you post some photos and filter date codes?

I guess they're more like rounded trapezoids but I assume that the tear drop shape would be machined pretty much the same as the rounded trapezoidal holes

I guess they're more like rounded trapezoids but I assume that the tear drop shape would be machined pretty much the same as the rounded trapezoidal holes

Pretty sure those are punched not machined.

FS7317 and XG7317 tapping plates are not the same.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Do these new Frams still use their ultra thin cans?

With the nonslip coating on the whole can it does make it feel thicker/stronger then the Ultra IMO. I don't believe the can thickness is any different then the Ultra other than the coating but does feel a little more solid. The Amsoil filter has a very thick can and this Titanium filter does feel "thicker".

36C9B500-6490-442A-A6F2-D56E112F17D8.jpeg

DB400721-8C33-4B5E-9B46-594335C24CE5.jpeg

The Titanium holes are not only bigger and more numerous, they sit in a cover plate valley - versus a hill on the Ultra.
All my oil brand favorites prefer valleys over hills. Sometimes I buy the wrong one and my two Koreans get upset.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
The Titanium holes are not only bigger and more numerous, they sit in a cover plate valley - versus a hill on the Ultra.

Look at the photos in the first post in this thread ... both the Ultra and Titanium have holes in the "valley" of the base plate. The photo above your last post is an Amzoil vs Titanium.

If the media & innards are the same (my scientific term) and the baseplate holes are bigger, then filter weight would be a good way to determine can strength, can't imagine the coating weighs much.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If the media & innards are the same (my scientific term) and the baseplate holes are bigger, then filter weight would be a good way to determine can strength, can't imagine the coating weighs much.
Not if the baseplate thickness is different.
"Can strength" is generally a non-issue, unless you're doing something stupid, or the vehicle manufacturer did.

I bought a cartridge type Titanium the other day for my 3.6 Colorado. The box said synthetic blend media. I was thinking that both the Titanium and Ultra were synthetic media filters? I'm not complaining but $15 for a blend filter is kinda steep.

Originally Posted by 340_Magnum
I bought a cartridge type Titanium the other day for my 3.6 Colorado. The box said synthetic blend media. I was thinking that both the Titanium and Ultra were synthetic media filters? I'm not complaining but $15 for a blend filter is kinda steep.

Yeah, something is weird in the labeling. It says synthetic blend media, but is the same media that is in the Ultra, and that is advertised as a dual layer full synthetic media.

Back