Virgin Fram Drive FD10575 C&P

Thanks. I thought something was different on this. Is that design for directional flow?
I don't see a real purpose for that baseplate "cover". Without it, the oil would flow the same through the holes in the actual baseplate. It could be nothing more than a "beauty cover". Champ Labs have used it on alot of their filters.

Very similar to Extra Guard. A little different base plate and nitrile ADBV. Hard pass on any Orange Can. The ToughGuard/Force and the Ultra/Titanium are good to go.

It looks nothing like an extra guard really. Different end caps, different center tube, different ADBV and no bypass value....I really don't see how this looks anything like an extra guard. I would happily put an extra guard on my motor, but not the drive personally.

EDIT: Sorry it does have a bypass value I misspoke on that one my bad!

A "Fram" Drive, is actually the older/previous Champ ACDelco for GM ecore design with poppet bypass and felt like endcaps. (It doesn't use combo valve used in ST10060 in vid.)

As for the "purpose" of auxiliary baseplate as explained by Champ when ecore introduced was to make installation in hard to access and/or see, easier. As opposed to the non beveled thread boss baseplate it would be without the plate. (Similar to/same as current Fram 7317 application base plate). As disclaimer, that's how Champ Labs promoted it, not my words.

Apparently the "Drive" a First Brands "Fram" now. A meh for me.

Thanks for c&p.

Last edited:
I haven’t looked at these much in the stores. It’s upsetting to see this one cut though.

I can already envision the Fram haters that will, justifiably, come out of the woodwork once evidence of felt endcap failures inevitably starts being produced.

Penny smart and dollar foolish for Fram to put their name on these. The just spent the last decade rebuilding the bad reputation they got from their Honeywell era products and this Fram Drive stuff will be a recapitulation of that.

I can already envision the Fram haters that will, justifiably, come out of the woodwork once evidence of felt endcap failures inevitably starts being produced.

Penny smart and dollar foolish for Fram to put their name on these. The just spent the last decade rebuilding the bad reputation they got from their Honeywell era products and this Fram Drive stuff will be a recapitulation of that.
This is just an attempt by First Brands to recoup their investment in buying Fram (& Champ) by selling their cheapest filter at a higher price by slapping the Fram name on it. Mann & Hummel is doing the exact same thing with Wix, racing to the bottom.

Looks like any other Champ Ecore :unsure:

Fran and Champ were owned by the same company, then went separate after a spinoff, and now they're back together under Trico

....Penny smart and dollar foolish for Fram to put their name on these.
Now that Fram is under the ownership of First Brands, the decision how to brand the "Drive" the owners call. Certainly the name recognition a factor. "First Brands" Drive not the same ring to it.

Thinking on it more, the Drive is similar to the previous Fram "Core" used in WM TLE/ACC. When both came under Rank Group the "Core" went from typical Fram orange can like construction to the Champ Labs made value line, majority ecore with combo valve, with a few exceptions. Unlike the topic "Drive" the "Core" was not intended for retail sale, even though they ended up on being sold on ebay and other places including some WM store shelves.

The "Drive" gives some First Brands filter manufacturing to the Champ Labs side of their business.

The Drive is really just a profit maximizing filter-take an Ecore that is generally sold to jobbers & garages in bulk for $1 or less (Service Champ), and slap the Fram name and a $5.79 price tag on it. Not likely to blow up anything, but in the running for cheapest made (normally). Hopefully helping subsidize the beloved Ultra!

Good write up and info. It looks like Champ Labs without combo valve base inlet holes. Pretty nice filter, interesting it has the Fram name even if they do own Champ now.
Same application in Albert Champion Delco

F03C1110-80E2-404E-8449-13FEDE5B4D11.jpeg

Back