Vintage Frantz Install

Ralph Wood recently did a full flow filter durability test, 60k miles on a cellulose full flow filter, he said he started seeing more deposits than normal when he pulled the lid off his bypass filter, he said the pleats on the full flow were still together but starting to rot, replaced the cellulose full flow with a synthetic Wix xp. I believe the cellulose full flow was on there for 6 years. I see you change your full flow at 15k miles @ 1.5 years, I think you could easily double the change interval to 30k @ 3 years, if you wanted to.

Last edited:
I had a Frantz on a 60s Falcon. I used single ply John Wayne style Scott brand toilet paper in it. It did keep the oil clean looking. I still changed the oil about once a year including a new full flow filter.

The orifice the oil came through was small enough that it didn't noticeably affect the oil pressure.

I had a Frantz on a 60s Falcon. I used single ply John Wayne style Scott brand toilet paper in it. It did keep the oil clean looking. I still changed the oil about once a year including a new full flow filter.

The orifice the oil came through was small enough that it didn't noticeably affect the oil pressure.
Those old 60's era engines sure dirtied up the oil a lot more than modern engines, looking at frantz literature from back in the day, they suggested 1 month change intervals in the winter months. That Falcon engine must have been pristine and clean inside.

It
Those old 60's era engines sure dirtied up the oil a lot more than modern engines, looking at frantz literature from back in the day, they suggested 1 month change intervals in the winter months. That Falcon engine must have been pristine and clean inside.
I just waited to change the TP roll until the filter body stopped getting hot after a drive so I knew the filter was plugged. It took thousands of miles for that to happen. When I said I changed once a year, I meant I changed the oil and full flow filter, not just the TP roll.

It

I just waited to change the TP roll until the filter body stopped getting hot after a drive so I knew the filter was plugged. It took thousands of miles for that to happen. When I said I changed once a year, I meant I changed the oil and full flow filter, not just the TP roll.
That's how I read it, annual oil and full flow filter change. :) How many tp changes in that year?

What are you using for hose and fittings on the Escape,? Sure looks good, brand? cost? I have only used 1/8" npt brass push lock fittings and 1/4" automotive green-line hose with 1/2" coiled hose protector from the local hydraulic hose shop.
They're 4an fittings and steel braided hoses, bought on ebay. I think the hose is 7/32" if I'm not mistaken. I use an and jic fittings for all fuel and oil lines, 10' of hose and fittings were around $45.00 USD.

They're 4an fittings and steel braided hoses, bought on ebay. I think the hose is 7/32" if I'm not mistaken. I use an and jic fittings for all fuel and oil lines, 10' of hose and fittings were around $45.00 USD.
That sounds reasonable for cost, I looked into it a bit and it would require jic to npt fittings, all my flare fittings are sae. I use a lot of brass to do some interesting things like extensions, drain petcocks, shut off valves, pressure gauges. I like the look of your hose though, but I am sitting on a lot of brass and push lock hose! :)

I have an old Frantz system sitting unused in the garage. I wish more modern vehicles had room under the hood to accommodate same.
You have to look into areas other than under the hood, behind front bumpers, between rad support and grille cavities, wheel wells, it doesn't hurt if the hoses end up being 6 feet long or even more.

You have to look into areas other than under the hood, behind front bumpers, between rad support and grille cavities, wheel wells, it doesn't hurt if the hoses end up being 6 feet long or even more.
It needs to be at least somewhat easy to access, though, as you have to be able swap out the TP roll without making a huge mess.

Back