Vintage Frantz Install

Installing a first gen Frantz on a 2012 Ford Escape.:)
IMG_4514.jpg
IMG_4516.jpg

How much did it cost? How much does a roll of Charmin cost? How many oil changes with a $5 Motorcraft filter would you have to do just to break even? 10 years worth?

I wouldn't actually use a toilet paper roll in there on a modern engine but Frantz sells some decent filter media for a good price that makes this a decent bypass filtration system.. seems like a lot of work for a 2012 escape but to each his own... how many miles a year to do put on that vehicle??

How much did it cost? How much does a roll of Charmin cost? How many oil changes with a $5 Motorcraft filter would you have to do just to break even? 10 years worth?
I bought the Frantz a few years ago on Ebay for $35.00 USD. A roll of Kirkland toilet paper cost around 70 cents per roll. I change the roll every 3000 miles which is every 3 months and add one quart of oil. In a year that's 4 rolls of toilet paper and 4 quarts of oil. The Full flow filter gets changed every 15,000 miles and I never drain the oil. No oil changes, just the full flow every 1.5 years and 4 quarts a year. So you do the math.:)

I bought the Frantz a few years ago on Ebay for $35.00 USD. A roll of Kirkland toilet paper cost around 70 cents per roll. I change the roll every 3000 miles which is every 3 months and add one quart of oil. In a year that's 4 rolls of toilet paper and 4 quarts of oil. The Full flow filter gets changed every 15,000 miles and I never drain the oil. No oil changes, just the full flow every 1.5 years and 4 quarts a year. So you do the math.:)

Sir: as always beautiful work and great info. I do appreciate all you do and post 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇺🇸🇺🇸👍🍻

You can prioritized engine oil lubrication by using something, like the above, that'll starve the bypass filter at low oil pressure scenarios(hot oil/idle). This will also allow the start up 1st 5-10psi to lube the engine prior to starting bypass flow to the filter.
I never did care for the nonchalant 'orifice size' recommendations that come from ANY of the dozens of bypass filter marketeers over the years. I've seen some shoddy installs that starved engines of oil with overly large 'orifice', and at least 1 fancy boutique brand kit cause oil starvation. There is no 1 size orifice that fits all.

Have you tried saving TP by going 4-6 months per roll, or is the interval based on shades of oil? Good synthetic full flow media filter should last 2 years easily too. Funny how some think that "breaking even' means anything when it comes to a mod. Get some blotter paper to select the TP interval.

Btw, pretty sure the TP shortage of 2020-2021 was caused by the bypass filter users...frantz, motorguard, stilko, trasko.....
TP aisle visited by BITOG members:

bpasstoieltpaper.jpg

Btw, pretty sure the TP shortage of 2020-2021 was caused by the bypass filter users...frantz, motorguard, stilko, trasko.....
TP aisle visited by BITOG members:
Lol, that could be.:) I like your idea of using check valves for starts. I've not done this, but do monitor oil pressure on starts and I can't tell the difference between no bypass and running a bypass. The engine oil pump provides so much oil, that the small amount used for the bypass has no effect on oil pressure. I change TP every 3000 miles as I found that is the sweet spot for keeping both the oil clean and the TBN's high. In the past I monitored the oil every year with Blackstone labs, but I stopped as I'm confident the oil is clean.:) I've been running MotorGuard and Frantz bypass filters for several years on my vehicles as well as using them for a Transmission filters.:)

I wouldn't actually use a toilet paper roll in there on a modern engine but Frantz sells some decent filter media for a good price that makes this a decent bypass filtration system.. seems like a lot of work for a 2012 escape but to each his own... how many miles a year to do put on that vehicle??
This is my sister's vehicle, but I run these on every vehicle I own and TP is about the best filtration media you can have.:) Not that much work and is a good idea if you plan to keep your vehicle for 20-30 years. It might easily go 300-400,000 miles in that time period without a bypass filter, but that's two oil changes a year. I hate changing oil.:)

TP works great on even the 'most modern' engines. I never could understand the TP fear, often pushed by the uninformed and non-users. Yet, the same have so much faith in the same cellulose used in their full flow engine oil filters from all manufacturer brands and their automaker. Cellulose... proven great for your air, oil, ATF, fuel... filters too for over 100 years! Cellulose... its what's in the TP!

TP works great on even the 'most modern' engines. I never could understand the TP fear, often pushed by the uninformed and non-users. Yet, the same have so much faith in the same cellulose used in their full flow engine oil filters from all manufacturer brands and their automaker. Cellulose... proven great for your air, oil, ATF, fuel... filters too for over 100 years! Cellulose... its what's in the TP!
My only issue with TP is the lack of consistency between brands these days and some that are designed to disintegrate easier.. ( Septic Safe ) ?? I am by no means saying it can never work or that there are not success stories my issue is I have seen modern TP Degrade in an old VW application before with my own eyes basically turning into an oil/fiber sludge in the housing ( I have no idea what brand or mileage customer was using ) ... I am not trying to discount the entire idea or run scientific tests as it does not interest me to use on any of my fleet but I do know that Frantz sells some good looking media and if I were to install one of those systems on my vehicle I would use one of them...

I haven't seen an issue with TP. But, a typical Frantz user has the common sense to research the TP of choice, and not use an pleated softened pleated some more panzy TP. I understand that too many in society are border line fools. And yes, if they don't have a clue, then they get what they earned. Once that cellulose expands, it doesn't come apart, and it doesn't degrade. Second foolishness is not picking the right height/diameter. Both easily avoidable by anyone with at least a 1/2 brain of common sense(pretty rare).

I also love mods that scare the techs and mechs at dealerships and indie shops. Funny watching them, during an inspections, all point it out like its some voodoo magic that magically attempts to destroy old VW's.

He doesn’t ever have to drain the oil again.
He doesn’t need to spend as much on oil and filters as often.
His oil will stay cleaner than new out of the jug.
He can take the bypass system off to use again when he sales or scraps the car.
Even if he did pay the new price for it it’s worth it.

Back