Very small new houses in Texas

Not even room to park a car on the street between driveways. This is going to look like total garbage once you fill the neighborhood with cars and people’s junk.

Looks like the company temporary housing they built in the early 1900s.
That's how a lot of neighborhoods are now even with full sized houses. That and narrow streets and postage stamp sized yards. And no trees except new baby ones. I just don't get the allure of a new home these days.

Reactions: 4WD
That's how a lot of neighborhoods are now even with full sized houses. That and narrow streets and postage stamp sized yards. And no trees except new baby ones. I just don't get the allure of a new home these days.
I know - Went to a bbq at a friends new $750k house - nice place but I thought 3 of 4 neighbors had a better back yard 😵‍💫

I would think those small homes would make a great home for many different reasons. Young, old, divorced, widowed, or anyone needing an inexpensive home instead of throwing money away on rent. At least you wouldn't have to repair anything for the first 10 years if they are built to code.

I can remember when most houses weren't very big, only had 1 bathroom and no garage..
you go back to that period right after WW2 and there were tons of tract homes built, many of them were pretty small..

my grandma's house was like 800 square feet, and it was a 1 and a 1/2 story house and it had a basement. You didn't need a remote for the TV, the rooms were so small you could lean forward and reach the TV set.

this is my grandmothers house in Plymouth Mi. believe it or not the one to the left used to be half the size of my grandma's, it was a Seara Roebuck catalog house. but over the years somebody made it bigger. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.378...RLz6kP3Wkb8tMtYw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

The use of a ladder to get to the 2nd floor is sketchy.

These are basically the width of a rowhouse or townhouse, except detached.
@Dave Hess
Yeah but I guess not much can be done about that.
You don’t have to use it, it’s just an extra room for whatever you want.
if your good with a ladder it could be an office, if your not it could be storage just like an attic only climate controlled attic.

Either way if I was offered a house to have one or not have one I would want one.

Here is more information. 2 models available one with second floor Br
They can’t build them as fast as they are selling. Hey, you can live in a co-op or condo with other families or have a place of your own. Unless the investors buy them up and start renting them out like in the OP.

I can remember when most houses weren't very big, only had 1 bathroom and no garage..
you go back to that period right after WW2 and there were tons of tract homes built, many of them were pretty small..

my grandma's house was like 800 square feet, and it was a 1 and a 1/2 story house and it had a basement. You didn't need a remote for the TV, the rooms were so small you could lean forward and reach the TV set.

this is my grandmothers house in Plymouth Mi. believe it or not the one to the left used to be half the size of my grandma's, it was a Seara Roebuck catalog house. but over the years somebody made it bigger. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.378...RLz6kP3Wkb8tMtYw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
My Grandparents had one of these homes built when my grandfather returned from the war .
That photo looks just like the neighbourhood they lived in all the homes pretty much the same .
they raised 14 children in that one bathroom home.

There’s something to be said about the lunacy of broke folks building or buying 3000+ sf homes that cost a ton to heat and cool, and in some places, insure properly…. Not to mention taxes.

Smaller homes on reasonable size lots would be an efficient approach to affordability and efficiency. Get out from the apartmentment/condo scenario, own something.

Here is more information. 2 models available one with second floor Br
They can’t build them as fast as they are selling. Hey, you can live in a co-op or condo with other families or have a place of your own. Unless the investors buy them up and start renting them out like in the OP.

That Henley model isn’t terrible, it just seems to lack even a driveway.

If the upstairs is accessible reasonably (no ladders), I could see this sort of home being useful to single folks both starting out and in the active 55+ type segment.

I would like to see developers build smaller 3 bedroom ranch homes like they use to.
I guess they still exist in some areas. As much as we talk on a national forum, supply, demand and the local market is key..
I was surprised to see 1950's style pricing and size homes close to a city.
When you click the link below make sure to change the Drop Down from "Featured" To "Price:Low to High"

Getting the old, sediment filled one down in 10-15 years would be an even bigger pain! Just leave the old one up there and throw a blanket over it, I guess.

Just put an old mattress at the bottom of the ladder and push it over the edge. Assuming that it won't break through the subfloor....

Back