Very small new houses in Texas

I was really surprised to learn that Lennar is building these very small matchbox style new houses.

Theres lots of demand for these small homes. You can see more photos on Google.

I thought Home builders liked to build bigger…. similar to Ford building a single $80K F150 pickup verses four econobox at $20K.

Last edited:
Pretty cool. We are seeing the advent of Mother in Law houses, I think they are called ADU. Most houses are on a small property footprint; my house is older so I have room for one in case wifey gives me the boot.

The Tiny House movement is a few years old and kept at bay via local zoning restrictions over fears the transient renters would depress prices of existing stock. It'll be interesting to see how these pan out.

Very similar to a Japanese-styled small apartment. I would never choose to stay there, but they wouldn't build them if there was no demand for them.

Needs a third floor and a basement.

The boiler is upstairs that you need the ladder to get to

7cf2da003171b050d4df73fd9306134al-m3194092325od-w1024_h768_x2.jpg

Something similar was sold here as "Katrina Cottage'. Did not go over as a long term housing. They were great for temporary shelter after the hurricane.

I'm wondering how they came up with the distance between the houses; fire code of some kind?

Back