Verify integrity of quick connect hose attachment

JHZR2

Staff member
2013 F-250 super duty. Sees severe duty in tropical conditions.

Smelled coolant yesterday, today a heater hose came off. These ford trucks have been very robust, running hundreds of thousands of miles in severe terrain loaded to max, without issues. So I was a bit surprised by this.

I think it was just a quick connect came loose, why? Dont know. But I also don’t know if it should have a positive click or what. I assume there’s an Oring that needs to be changed when these connections come off. Is that a requirement every time?

IMG_7907.jpeg
IMG_7908.jpeg
IMG_7909.jpeg

Last edited:
If that's the upper hose then it's completely broken. There's supposed to be another plastic piece with the wire retainer on it and that might still be stuck to the radiator.

I'm not a Ford mechanic and I'm just commenting based on internet photos and data.

1693320748947.jpg

If that's the upper hose then it's completely broken. There's supposed to be another plastic piece with the wire retainer on it and that might still be stuck to the radiator.

I'm not a Ford mechanic and I'm just commenting based on internet photos and data.

View attachment 175695
It is connected to a white nipple at the firewall going to the firewall. Not to the radiator. There is a second connector (return from heater core) that looks exactly the same so I don’t think anything is missing.

I just need to know how to verify that it is properly connected since nothing seems to click or give a positive response when it is pushed back on.

my BMW uses hoses like this and the wire retainer on the female hose clips over a retainer lip on the male section. Once it clicks in place there's no mistaking that it's attached.

You appear to be missing the outer white plastic retainer ring as shown starting at 1:00 minute mark of this video.

You’re right. Thanks.

Found the image on Rockauto.

IMG_7913.jpeg

I see the white part on the hose.

I did see a white plastic piece on the nipple at the firewall. Maybe the white part came out of the hose?

my BMW uses hoses like this and the wire retainer on the female hose clips over a retainer lip on the male section. Once it clicks in place there's no mistaking that it's attached.
That’s what I’d expect. A very positive click.

Honestly if feasible I'd just replace the whole hose. It's plastic, it's old and it seemingly failed for an unknown reason. I'd have trouble trusting it again.

For a field repair, sure -- troubleshoot it. But if time allows in a "shop" environment just replace it.

Questionable plastic is one of those things I don't trust and I can't fix (can't weld it)

Honestly if feasible I'd just replace the whole hose. It's plastic, it's old and it seemingly failed for an unknown reason. I'd have trouble trusting it again.

For a field repair, sure -- troubleshoot it. But if time allows in a "shop" environment just replace it.

Questionable plastic is one of those things I don't trust and I can't fix (can't weld it)
Yeah it’s not a long run and easy to do.

For the time being it is holding without a click.

as said a few posts ago, the retainer ring is missing on the quick connector. My Mazda MPV has the same setup for both heater hoses. One connector nipple became brittle and broke upon flexing the hose when I was replacing the starter. There are two adjacent sealing O rings inside the connector. I ordered a pair of OE parts.

It looks like you are missing the inside white portion. I just guess on the engine, but it looks like they are all similar on the heater core side

View attachment 175766
Thanks, yes I agree. Do you think the white part is available by itself? Hoses look great, truck is extremely clean for a 2013 work truck.

Not opposed to replacing the hoses but if I can just get the intermediate part, might as well.

If '08 is the same I can lop the ends off my dead 3V and send to you....
I appreciate it but it looks to me like the ends on this one are molded and bonded in.

Wouldn’t doubt the ends are the same.

But plastic fatigue is also a consideration.

It’s my FIL’s truck so I’ll see what he wants to do. Thanks for the offer, greatly appreciated!

Back