Some maintenance & repairs to the trusty steed.

My 2006 2500HD LBZ Duramax pick-up just turned over 440,000 miles......

I starting smelling coolant last week, Turned out to be one of the Heater Core quick connects was dripping onto the EGR Cooler. Not a bad leak but I didn't want to tempt fate as these are known to blow apart at the worst possible time. Kinda surprised they lasted this long. Went to the dealer & got all the parts & 3 gallons of Dexcool.....@ $120.

Not really what I wanted to do on my day off, But I got it done before the Cowboy game Sunday!

These are a little tougher than their gas truck brethren......Take out the trans dipstick & plug it so you don't contaminate the trans fluid!! I use the OTC 6046 disconnect tool.
I use Hylomar Blue to dress the O-rings on the quick connects.

Changed the Air Filter along with the Fuel Filter & Water Separator on the Airdog lift pump which were way past due by @ 10,000 miles. I don't change the OE engine mounted Racor fuel filter very often as the last time the filter media looked new with 30,000+ miles on it.

Just waiting for the old girl to lay down with a major repair.....If it costs me more than a $1000....I'll sell it as is. Truck has paid for itself several times over & owes me nothing!!

W4Uu4pI.jpg

I1Les4q.jpg

xboMB4E.jpg

VzIOkSL.jpg

bNaLIsv.jpg

qMBmFwo.jpg

0JXTtye.jpg

4zcWedC.jpg

6NHFcAU.jpg

Hzaz5az.jpg

So what you're saying is the Cowboys disappointed you more than the truck? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JC1
Wow 440,000 that’s a record for a Chevy. But that’s good usually diesels last a long time.

But a replacement truck new is probably $75K to $80K

No more diesel trucks for me, I wanted a diesel Excursion but I'm not paying top dollar for a 16 year old 200,000+ mile one.

I do have a super clean 1985 C20 Silverado, Doesn't have a single dent in the body & the original paint can likely be saved by wet sanding & spraying some Clear. Swap in a rebuilt 6.0L/4L80E, Reseal the 10.5" diff, New fuel tanks & fuel system. New Ball Joints & Tie Rods because the boots are rotted off, Re-seal the Gear Box, Rebuild the brakes.
New Cab mounts, Weatherstipping, New Carpet & Pad after some Dynamat, Have the bench seat re-done in brown leather & have the dash pad re-done. New Heater & Evaporator Cores, Fit a nice efficient 134a Condenser. Probably have the original Harrison 4-core Brass Radiator cleaned & rodded as it still has pretty green antifreeze & doesn't leak.

Running the numbers.....I could have a really nice truck for @$12,000 & @150 hours of my time. I like the simplicity of old trucks & the driveability/dependability of LSx engines which are also simple/cheap.
I'm sure these old Square Bodies are seen as junk in the rust belt, And it's getting tough to find a good one here as well.....But this one is a true survivor!!!

jZWXKLN.jpg

Much easier being a Jets fan. Football distracts you twice a century. Outside of that you can concentrate on car repairs.
Where I’m at it’s only the 49ers. Most Raiders fans have gave up on them again with their move to Vegas.

unless you cheer on the LA Rams or Chargers.

49ers @ Cowboys Dec 20th. Gonna be a great game, right? My grand niece in Arlington has tickets...
440K miles; I'm gonna guess it has had some regular service? Outstanding!

Baldwin filters are the bomb diggity. Love em.
Wow. 440,000 miles. Gotta love it. My 5.3 is getting close to 200,000. Still just a pup.

There was a FLAWLESS square body Suburban on Ebay a short time ago. It was so tempting because I think the new ones are hideous but I can't see spending 27 g on a truck and then swapping in a 6.0 and modern trans.

I'm sure these old Square Bodies are seen as junk in the rust belt, And it's getting tough to find a good one here as well.....But this one is a true survivor!!!
They are only seen as junk because they usually are rusty junk. A clean body will get bid up to crazy prices and/or sell fast.

49ers @ Cowboys Dec 20th. Gonna be a great game, right? My grand niece in Arlington has tickets...
440K miles; I'm gonna guess it has had some regular service? Outstanding!

Both are pretty banged up at the moment. Remember when the 9'ers & Cowboys had a rivalry....I think they met in the NFC Championship game 5 or 6 times?

Baldwin filters are the bomb diggity. Love em.
Wow. 440,000 miles. Gotta love it. My 5.3 is getting close to 200,000. Still just a pup.

There was a FLAWLESS square body Suburban on Ebay a short time ago. It was so tempting because I think the new ones are hideous but I can't see spending 27 g on a truck and then swapping in a 6.0 and modern trans.

Had a 1985 C20 Suburban that I used as a testbed for 4L60E & 4L80E transmissions.....As well as a poor man's dyno if shipping a transmission over seas (Europe, Japan, & Australia). Had a WELL tuned L33 5.3L with zero torque management swapped in. It would outrun stock LQ9 Escalades easily. Prolly had 60-70 different transmissions in it over the years.

fq8tQVL.jpg

N8tCR3D.jpg

Back