Quick Lane Review

I detest chains, quick lubes, and dealerships but I also have no practical way to rotate my tires on my Tundra in the winter. My local Quick Lane charges $29.99 to rotate tires. I had an 8am appt and I was there by 7:55am.

The Good: They actually rotated the tire in the appropriate patterns AND used a torque wrench to snug down the lugs AFTER coming in to ask the service tech if they could look up the correct torque spec - I knew off the top of my head and provided the info.

The Bad: There was no one else there. No cars outsides. No cars in the bay. There were three guys there and even though the truck was up on the lift at 8:03am it still took 58 mins to rotate the tires. With me sitting there staring at them one guy worked on the truck. He'd come over loosen the lugs on one tire and then walk away for 5 mins. Come back and remove the tire and walk away for a 5 mins. Remove the lugs on the next tire and walk away for a while. You get the idea.

Now here's what's weird. Four people came in after me while I was waiting to request various services and they were waiting with me so there was work to be done and that did not make anyone move any faster. As I left two more people came in. That tech just produced $29.99 in an hour while several hundred dollars of work waited for absolutely no good reason during that hour.

I guess there's a reason some people end up at these places...

My local Quick Lane is what pushed me to fully commit to DIY. I suppose that's one positive thing about the experience.

There is a dial on the oil dispenser that shows the amount of oil pumped out. I noticed that while filling the engine back up they would simply read the dial and assume it was good to go. Never double-checked the dipstick to verify, and that would explain why the level was constantly overfilled. What if that machine is slightly out of calibration? What if the tech misread the dial? (mistakes happen). The dipstick is a good verification method.

This is just one example of many that made my decision very easy.

I detest chains, quick lubes, and dealerships but I also have no practical way to rotate my tires on my Tundra in the winter. My local Quick Lane charges $29.99 to rotate tires. I had an 8am appt and I was there by 7:55am.

The Good: They actually rotated the tire in the appropriate patterns AND used a torque wrench to snug down the lugs AFTER coming in to ask the service tech if they could look up the correct torque spec - I knew off the top of my head and provided the info.

The Bad: There was no one else there. No cars outsides. No cars in the bay. There were three guys there and even though the truck was up on the lift at 8:03am it still took 58 mins to rotate the tires. With me sitting there staring at them one guy worked on the truck. He'd come over loosen the lugs on one tire and then walk away for 5 mins. Come back and remove the tire and walk away for a 5 mins. Remove the lugs on the next tire and walk away for a while. You get the idea.

Now here's what's weird. Four people came in after me while I was waiting to request various services and they were waiting with me so there was work to be done and that did not make anyone move any faster. As I left two more people came in. That tech just produced $29.99 in an hour while several hundred dollars of work waited for absolutely no good reason during that hour.

It's a management issue.

I hate bringing my truck anywhere> Tire rotation or oil changes. I find doing my own oil changes are faster and I know what I am getting.
Getting tires rotated always seems like a PIA for a simple procedure. I will be shortly trying out COSTCO for a free tire rotation. I think you actually make an appointment so your not hanging around forever.
I was impressed when I bought tires there for the first time, they actually did use a hand held torque wrench to tighten the lugs. I NEVER had that experience ANY place and Ive been on this earth a while (and hopefully continue :whistle:)

Last edited:
Did they relearn the TPMS position for you or does your vehicle do that automatically?

I hate bringing my truck anywhere> Tire rotation or oil changes. I find doing my own oil changes are faster and I know what I am getting.
Getting tires rotated always seems like a PIA for a simple procedure. I will be shortly trying out COSTCO for a free tire rotation. I thing you actually make an appointment so your not hanging around forever.
I was impressed when I bought tires there for the first time, they actually did use a hand held torque wrench to tighten the lugs. I NEVER had that experience ANY place and Ive been on this earth a while (and hopefully continue :whistle:)
The Kia and Lexus are easy - the single front jack point gets front and rear wheels off the ground. I can rotate tires in 15 mins taking my time. The Tundra, not so much. Requires the front and rear jack points plus the rear jack point is not easy to get to with a trolley jack. Add to the fact the truck does not fit in the garage and the driveway is on a slant and it's winter and I have just slightly less desire to do it myself than I do fear of anyone else doing it.

The Kia and Lexus are easy - the single front jack point gets front and rear wheels off the ground. I can rotate tires in 15 mins taking my time. The Tundra, not so much. Requires the front and rear jack points plus the rear jack point is not easy to get to with a trolley jack. Add to the fact the truck does not fit in the garage and the driveway is on a slant and it's winter and I have just slightly less desire to do it myself than I do fear of anyone else doing it.
Add the fact that the wheels & tires weigh over 50lbs each, makes it a real pain. I do it myself, but the truck is on a Quickjack, getting the oil changed, and I’m checking brakes, etc. when I do it.

Put it on a slanted driveway, with a floor jack? Nah. I wouldn’t.

Slanted driveways scare me. There's a reason for it. I guess your Tundra does not even fit into your garage just enough to be jacked up safely? Mine does... I rotated the tires on a 2002 Silverado earlier this week. I pulled it in just enough so that the rear tires were in. Also bled brakes; jackstands galore!

I could write a book about the miserable service and crazy things that occur at some WalMart Tire / Auto locations. Managers tell me they can not keep enough workers. Most will have one , maybe two older guys that been there years. Managers say most new hires last thru first paycheck and do not even have the courtesy to say "I quit." Just never return.

Slanted driveways scare me. There's a reason for it. I guess your Tundra does not even fit into your garage just enough to be jacked up safely? Mine does... I rotated the tires on a 2002 Silverado earlier this week. I pulled it in just enough so that the rear tires were in. Also bled brakes; jackstands galore!
I can just get front and rear tires in but there’s still no room on either side to do anything. I can’t even pump the trolley jack. It’s tight with Kia and Lexus but doable.

It’s easy on the Tundra. Press and hold a button under the dash for three seconds. Truck beeps. TPMS relearn complete. Faster to do it than to explain it.
Technically, a relearn is not required during rotations on Toyota vehicles with direct TPMS. The relearn is only completed to set pressure thresholds.

I could write a book about the miserable service and crazy things that occur at some WalMart Tire / Auto locations. Managers tell me they can not keep enough workers. Most will have one , maybe two older guys that been there years. Managers say most new hires last thru first paycheck and do not even have the courtesy to say "I quit." Just never return.
There are multi layer problems here. It's either management, pay, or working conditions. The issue being if it's $15.00/hr job-those are all over town-at least here.

There are multi layer problems here. It's either management, pay, or working conditions. The issue being if it's $15.00/hr job-those are all over town-at least here.
Yeah. Those jobs are physically demanding. I did lots of it out of home garage and then home shop after 10 hour work days for family and friends while employed as a full time industrial mechanic for years. If you dont love it , like I did , I can see looking for similar monies doing a lot less physical work. I have heard those quickie lubes pay the least and some just minimum wage. Not sure what Walmart pays them. Some of their problems too are as you say Management.

Yeah. Those jobs are physically demanding. I did lots of it out of home garage and then home shop after 10 hour work days for family and friends while employed as a full time industrial mechanic for years. If you dont love it , like I did , I can see looking for similar monies doing a lot less physical work. I have heard those quickie lubes pay the least and some just minimum wage. Not sure what Walmart pays them. Some of their problems too are as you say Management.
With very few exceptions the default minimum wage is $15.00/hr. around here. So yea-if you are lifting tires for that amount-any other job you could go get will pay you the same-and will not be as hard physically. I dob't know what type of training (if any) Walmart puts their department managers through. Leadership/motivation (as you stated) is important.

Let me get this straight. You can jack the entire vehicle off of the ground using a single trolley jack on a single front jack point? That is a neat trick!
Well here’s how I do it….
C86FF235-8EFE-42FF-8C96-90C7F161BBF8.jpeg

CF55625E-D3C4-4C09-8B0C-85F7BC417041.jpeg

Probably these places should have a piece work bonus. My favorite new and used tire place is a family run with the Dad in the office and selling and his son and a cousin are doing the lifting and they hustle, as I think they both are getting a portion of profits...They both drive late model Cadillacs.
If its not raining they skip the lift, or if something is on the lift, they zip out 3 big floor jacks in the flat area out front, 30 seconds later the car is up, another minute the wheels are off and inside and someone is working on them. I should time them, but getting 4 new tires on your existing rims is probably under 20 minutes from the time the car is lifted and set down again.

Back