This is why we can't have nice things...

Many act like they're doing you a favor and own your vehicle once it's in the shop . Also know someone else will take your place . Wouldn't have a job if not for customers .
Exactly. I had one shop owner/ also a mechanic that owned this shop literally go nuclear on me, came charging out of the shop yelling at me and berating me for at least ten minutes, he went on and on as I politely and calmly explained that the car was a problem vehicle and it wasn't any reflection on his work, as I looked under the hood of MY car that was on his lot. The guy never posted any signs about not doing this, I wasn't very obvious doing it either, if another customer was looking I probably looked like a mechanic so they wouldn't have thought much about it. I had been going to this place for 6 years, always paid in full immediately after the job, helped the mechanics by giving an accurate description of the problem or work to be done to save them time, never made unreasonable requests or demands, and when there were some issues I would calmly go back in and wait until no other customers were around to ask them to correct the issues, it didn't happen often but sometimes, and I never whined about the mistakes only just asked them to make it right, and they did. However they were strange, one time I had the shop owners wife who wrote up the jobs tell me that her husband didn't like the customers leaving notes in the car describing the issues??!!?! I thought that was odd, but told her that's fine I'll make sure to call you and tell you over the phone before I bring it in if I can't be there in the morning to drop it off and tell you in person.

In our area it is very difficult if not impossible to find any kind of even half way competent auto service, the amusing part of it was this guy was a prima donna but the place wasn't nearly as good as he like to think, you could tell when they made a mistake and you brought it back you could be as nice as could be but he was still unhappy you came back even though you paid good money (this shop was NOT cheap at all no hole in the wall) to get the car repaired you could tell it annoyed them. This is why unless it wasn't something I could take care of myself I generally didn't bring it back.

I've given up going to get any work done here at all unless it happens to become an emergency. I haven't been to any shop here in
five years now, and surprisingly the cars have been more trouble free than they ever seemed to be while using that shop...makes me wonder.

I occasionally buy used parts/ items from across the USA, like a car seat. I use UShip as the platform to find a shipper.

It always amazes how many bids I receive, that say "hey I can help you out". And the shippers that post that to me are always the highest price shippers. I always respond back I am not looking for someone to help me out, but someone who can deliver the item to me in the condition it was picked up in, at a fair price.

Exactly. I had one shop owner/ also a mechanic that owned this shop literally go nuclear on me, came charging out of the shop yelling at me and berating me for at least ten minutes, he went on and on as I politely and calmly explained that the car was a problem vehicle and it wasn't any reflection on his work, as I looked under the hood of MY car that was on his lot. The guy never posted any signs about not doing this, I wasn't very obvious doing it either, if another customer was looking I probably looked like a mechanic so they wouldn't have thought much about it. I had been going to this place for 6 years, always paid in full immediately after the job, helped the mechanics by giving an accurate description of the problem or work to be done to save them time, never made unreasonable requests or demands, and when there were some issues I would calmly go back in and wait until no other customers were around to ask them to correct the issues, it didn't happen often but sometimes, and I never whined about the mistakes only just asked them to make it right, and they did. However they were strange, one time I had the shop owners wife who wrote up the jobs tell me that her husband didn't like the customers leaving notes in the car describing the issues??!!?! I thought that was odd, but told her that's fine I'll make sure to call you and tell you over the phone before I bring it in if I can't be there in the morning to drop it off and tell you in person.

In our area it is very difficult if not impossible to find any kind of even half way competent auto service, the amusing part of it was this guy was a prima donna but the place wasn't nearly as good as he like to think, you could tell when they made a mistake and you brought it back you could be as nice as could be but he was still unhappy you came back even though you paid good money (this shop was NOT cheap at all no hole in the wall) to get the car repaired you could tell it annoyed them. This is why unless it wasn't something I could take care of myself I generally didn't bring it back.

I've given up going to get any work done here at all unless it happens to become an emergency. I haven't been to any shop here in
five years now, and surprisingly the cars have been more trouble free than they ever seemed to be while using that shop...makes me wonder.
That guy just has no social skills. Sounds like a very uneducated individual who has a lot of psychological problems and maturity issues.

Signs or no signs, your car is your property and you have full right to pop the hood if you please. Any further problems or threats with this douche,call the police.

That guy just has no social skills. Sounds like a very uneducated individual who has a lot of psychological problems and maturity issues.

Signs or no signs, your car is your property and you have full right to pop the hood if you please. Any further problems or threats with this douche,call the police.
I was willing to put up with some nonsense IF they were doing a decent enough job, but as the years went by I found that they (several mechanics work there) were giving me the car back with more and more issues after the work was done, but even still they were grudgingly making good on fixing them. However that was the last straw for me, I was really shocked how this guy acted, even though I did EVERYTHING to take the high road and de-escalate the situation he just didn't quit badgering me, after that I never went back.

Stupidly I believed that he was having a really bad day and that perhaps he would be decent enough to at least call me back and tell me so to keep my business, if nothing else to keep me from blasting him on the internet, but he never called me back to explain. Despicable creature !

Are we inferring that letting the impact gun hammer for a minute doesn't give the right torque?

I had to call AAA once, because I could not budge the lugs on my Magnum with my 4-way lugwrench. The dude AAA sent looked like he was playing hooky from NFL training camp...and HE needed a 4' breaker bar with a pipe on it.

The gorilla with the impact gun was the dealer.

Oh you guys are scaring me with your horror stories. Only once was I a victim. Whoever mounted the Bridgestones that were on the Rat when I got it stretched wheel studs so badly the splines loosened and the stretched let the rim wobble on the LF. I was on the way back from NH going down Rt93. No real places to take a look so I rode the right lane home at 60. 3 studs and all the nuts needed replacing.The wheel was a mess anyway so I got pretty medieval taking the mess apart :cool:

When I worked as a bus mechanic, I didn't have access to tire equipment for passenger cars. so I used a local chain to swap my winter tyres on. A week later I wanted to change a lower wishbone so the wheel had to come off. I had a 4 foot breaker bar, I was standing on the end ad the bolts still didn't come lose. Had to jump on it. Mind you I was a bit lighter then, but still 170 lbs, so over 600 ft-lbs...

I only torque them to 500 ft lbs on the logging truck.

Back