Varnish on 1/2 of J-35 Honda

Since I was replacing the fuel pump on the old Odyssey (teenagers DD) and decided might as well do a 2nd and final timing belt and water pump replacement (so I figured why not adjust the valves as well since it has been 110K since I last did them.).

What amazed me the intake plenum was coated in varnish and cylinders 4-5-6 where also had quite a bit of varnish. cylinders 1-2-3 were spotless like brand new. I would have suspected the rear cylinders (4-5-6) would gotten hotter (less air flow) hence would have formed more varnish.

I wish I took a picture of it. I was quite surprised how clean the rear bank was (like new) and yet the plenum and front bank was quite orange. This is the NON-VCM engine and only used synthetics since new either Mobil1 or Valvoline and most recently RGT, at 6-7K OCI. (approx 30 percent on OLM). PCV was not plugged and is maintained regularly.

What else would cause such a stark contrast in cleanliness?

I have an `06 with 168,000 miles with oil changes 4000-5000 miles with synthetic 1x 8000, but with Amsoil sig series., but I do have VCM. Similar problem, but mine was worse. Definite varnish and soft sludge under both valve covers. front MUCH worse and even sludge on rockers on the front. Always maintained. Part of the problem is engine design the other part for me is lots of soccer mom crazy short trip duty, where the engine doesn't reach operational temperature often enough and most moisture accumulates in the front bank where the PCV valve is. The the back 3 cylinders shut down for fuel economy and get extra hot burning up the sludge. Also I hear the rings tale a beaten as well. Mine is burning 2-3 quarts per OCI. Oh well!

I did the valve adjustment (1st time at 166,000 and the last). I am just shooting for 5 more years (60,000 more miles). Then off it goes to the boneyard. If the engine or trans fails or anything too major it is going to the boneyard sooner.

It is certainly nickel and dime`n me. Just did alternator #4(oem this time), serpentine belt 2x, tensioner and idler 2x. I think I hear the ball joints and sway bar links starting to knock, I guess that is the next repair 2x.

I really should clean it up an sell it. But it is such a well rounded useful beater.

Since I was replacing the fuel pump on the old Odyssey (teenagers DD) and decided might as well do a 2nd and final timing belt and water pump replacement (so I figured why not adjust the valves as well since it has been 110K since I last did them.).

What amazed me the intake plenum was coated in varnish and cylinders 4-5-6 where also had quite a bit of varnish. cylinders 1-2-3 were spotless like brand new. I would have suspected the rear cylinders (4-5-6) would gotten hotter (less air flow) hence would have formed more varnish.

I wish I took a picture of it. I was quite surprised how clean the rear bank was (like new) and yet the plenum and front bank was quite orange. This is the NON-VCM engine and only used synthetics since new either Mobil1 or Valvoline and most recently RGT, at 6-7K OCI. (approx 30 percent on OLM). PCV was not plugged and is maintained regularly.

PCV issue, repalce it and clean the inside of the front cover thoroughly, let it soak in carb and parts cleaner overnight. You see a plate inside the cover with some small holes in it, this is where the PCV gets the vapor from, deposits between the cover and plate restricts the flow.

Sorry to bump the old thread, but it is a PCV issue. I recently worked on one where it was an extreme example:

Sorry to bump the old thread, but it is a PCV issue. I recently worked on one where it was an extreme example:
That amount of varnish(no sludge) was how mine looked but as I mentioned the rear was spotless.

I did replace the PCV approx every 50K during it lifetime. It was pretty dirty each time. So maybe I should have done it more often.

Back