Honda J35 V6 (J35Z4) Sludge and Cam Scoring

Front Cylinder Head was removed due to a broken spark plug on #4. The owner tried to remove the broken plug, but broke the ez-out. Prior to this incident, the front bank had an audible knock/tick.

After disassembly, two scored cam lobes were found on #5. All of the rollers on the rocker were in perfect shape, so maybe we caught it just in time?

Service intervals were “annually” with Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 and Amsoil filter. Since this was a 2009 Pilot with 180K, I would estimate the annual interval to be around 15K. Driving conditions were a mix of city and highway.

Note: this is a J35Z4 with VCM.

Attachments

• 6BBF251A-1DF0-4E77-8514-FAA4B4620ED9.jpeg
    6BBF251A-1DF0-4E77-8514-FAA4B4620ED9.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,284
  • 44DAEBE1-F2F8-47A6-8645-9FDF308F7456.jpeg
    44DAEBE1-F2F8-47A6-8645-9FDF308F7456.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 1,275
  • 9712009F-6312-4288-B31F-B780CAECBA77.jpeg
    9712009F-6312-4288-B31F-B780CAECBA77.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 1,267
  • E75188D1-57FA-4C23-B8B7-CACA3A0B5A59.jpeg
    E75188D1-57FA-4C23-B8B7-CACA3A0B5A59.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,238
Last edited:
I'd shorten the OCI. I wouldn't be happy seeing that especially after using a premium extended drain synthetic oil with a good reputation for cleaning and keeping things clean. I'm not bashing an oil, but extended OCIs aren't for everyone. This reinforces my belief.

I'd shorten the OCI. I wouldn't be happy seeing that especially after using a premium extended drain synthetic oil with a good reputation for cleaning and keeping things clean. I'm not bashing an oil, but extended OCIs aren't for everyone. This reinforces my belief.
Agreed. The only time I think 15k miles is okay is if it was all easy highway miles at a steady speed. The more short trips, cold temperatures, dusty environments, etc are added in the more the oil change should be shortened up.

It would be interesting to see how much worse it would have been with a bulk conventional 5w20 or even a budget synthetic. Or if the same signature series but in 10w30 would have held up better.

There's more and more evidence extended oil changes can cause issues. I will continue to change my synthetic oil every 4,000 - 5,000 miles and sleep well.
I agree. While there are plenty of people who have successfully extended OCI's, it isn't for everyone. No matter what oil they use. Oh, blanket statements like a dino oil can easily go 5K, and a synthetic can go 10K can get you in trouble too.

my coworker pushes her 17 Pilot Elite to 10K OCI because in her words money is tight; currently at 80K

I wanted to tell her that major maintenance is coming up, replacing timing belt and water pump, but I'd fainted

They have 17 TSX V6 also fast approaching that 100K mile interval

I have never been a fan of long OCI’s, Oil is cheap insurance.

I just cant get it out of my head by no filter is 100% efficient and even if you have the best oil the longer you run it the oil, the more contaminants are suspended in the oil which means more PPM of contaminants getting through the filter and gettting circulated in the engine.

The front bank of my J35 was 1/2 as varnished as that, but with no sludge and that was with all synthetic and much shorter intervals.

Almost looks like an oil passage got plugged.

Seriously thinking of going back to 4K OCI’s.

I don't actually believe this. There is NO WAY this was just Amsoil Signature Series and only 15K/yearly changes. Now it is possible they skipped a year or they drove a heck of a lot more than "15K" in a year the last few years. Amsoil Sig does not "chunk" like that in 15K. Sorry no offense to you Mike, and I know VCM is hard on oil, but did you collect an oil sample? I am guessing it was a different oil changed in perhaps.

Change the PCV every 30K or sooner on these engines and 3-4K OCI with synthetic oil with these or you end up like the one the OP is working on or worse.
Thank you Trav-
Thats what I do. Clean PCV at 10k and replace at 30K. I think that is the "secret" with the VCM-II motors. I do oil at 4k with Mobil One or Platinum. My V-6 Accord has been outstanding- super smooth and pulls strong, too. Tempted to try the Muzzler "just in case"

Either that’s a bad design, she didn’t ever check the level between yearly intervals or the 15k/year assumption is wrong. No way that’s normal for ANY oil with only 15k/year, IF kept topped up...

I do love seeing the 3/3 folks climbing out from under their rocks for a quick jab, though!

Either that’s a bad design, she didn’t ever check the level between yearly intervals or the 15k/year assumption is wrong. No way that’s normal for ANY oil with only 15k/year, IF kept topped up...

I do love seeing the 3/3 folks climbing out from under their rocks for a quick jab, though!
I'm not a 3/3 guy, but I'll climb out from under the rocks. ;) I'd be willing to wager it would look a lot better with the interval cut in half. If the engine is in fact a poor design as @Trav alluded to, cutting the interval in half or to 3-4K would be a very smart move going forward.

Back