VARARAM Intakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
May try a google search, some sites will come up with comments on this brand intake. Also, check out our clean oil VOAs forum here at BITOG

I know that the Vette community SWEARS BY these as far as power production/quarter mile trap speed increases go, even though most on here will BLAST those claims, and try to shoot them down in flames.
lol.gif

They use specific size oiled gauze filters made for them under subcontract by Green Filter Co.

IF they EVER relesae one for the 4th gen f body LS1s, I will definitely try it!

I looked up their factory website for Corvette intakes.
I do NOT believe 40 extra HP in ALL RPM ranges. Simply because at lower RPMs, there is no restriction with the stock one. Maybe improvement at full throttle high RPM, but not at low speeds.
Another [censored] is 1-3 more MPG. Give me a giant bleeding break!
Making more power uses more fuel. If 40 HP is attained at low RPM, then they are full of it, or full of it.
For around $400 with tax, it seems a high price for what a trip to Home Depot could do for $25.
Note that they say gains can not be measured on a dyno. So how did they come up with 40 HP at all RPMS?

Extra air can help, and ram air can work at high speeds. I doubt their excessive claims severely.

I've got a Vararam on my Corvette and I love it! I'm very meticulous about recording the weather conditions when I go to the dragstrip and how it affects the performance of my car and the Vararam gave me an improvement of almost 4 tenths of a second and it gave me 4 mph higher trap speeds with the weather conditions (and DA) being very close on my before/after comparison.

With just the Vararam and custom tuning my C5 has run a best time of 12.81 at 109.4 mph on all season tires. Not many C5s in near stock condition can run that deep into the 12s, so the Vararam is definitely doing it's job! After having it installed I noticed that the engine is more responsive not only at higher speeds, but even down low as well.

As to the question of UOAs, mine have been very good, silicon is not too high at all.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
Anyone here have any experience with the Vararam intakes and power gains and clean oil UOAs?

SUPER platform dependent. On my car these do nothing, the factory has already done the work.

On many cars there are gains, but no one CAI works well on any car. Most modern cars need tuning to get very small gains at all.

I place high value on Patman's experience. I wonder if they make these intakes for my 2001 Ranger 4 banger and for my son's 2001 S10 4 banger.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I place high value on Patman's experience. I wonder if they make these intakes for my 2001 Ranger 4 banger and for my son's 2001 S10 4 banger.

Agreed. He's a respected and valuable contributor.

And what kind of car is he driving?

Good point. A Corvette will certainly get the most advantage out of this kind of mod, but there should be some benefit for most vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I've got a Vararam on my Corvette and I love it! I'm very meticulous about recording the weather conditions when I go to the dragstrip and how it affects the performance of my car and the Vararam gave me an improvement of almost 4 tenths of a second and it gave me 4 mph higher trap speeds with the weather conditions (and DA) being very close on my before/after comparison.

With just the Vararam and custom tuning my C5 has run a best time of 12.81 at 109.4 mph on all season tires. Not many C5s in near stock condition can run that deep into the 12s, so the Vararam is definitely doing it's job! After having it installed I noticed that the engine is more responsive not only at higher speeds, but even down low as well.

As to the question of UOAs, mine have been very good, silicon is not too high at all.

I don't doubt that it works to various degrees for high speed racing, but did you read their other claims?

I've had one of these on our G8 GT for a few years. My UOAs show that, in this environment at least, it cleans the air just fine. It certainly made a performance improvement, and the car will still knock down 23 mpg (indicated) on the interstate. I wouldn't put a CAI on most cars, but this one has worked well for this application. Their claims are a bit over the top, but wild claims aside they get a
thumbsup2.gif
from me.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Good point. A Corvette will certainly get the most advantage out of this kind of mod, but there should be some benefit for most vehicles.

Exactly. As long as your expectations are low, you will not likely be disappointed. But it is to be expected that a 3 or 4 hundred HP engine gets bigger benefits than a 1 or 2 hundred HP engine.

Plus the vettes are known to be restricted on the intake side due to GM requirements about noise levels.

Been thinking about this and it seems (correct me if I am wrong) that for low end grunt, best bet is a performance muffler in the stock piping. Air intake mods are probably going to show the best results only at high rpm and very well could hurt the low end. This, of course, it a broad generalization. There will be exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back