Which side is the exhaust on your transverse inline engine?

My 97' Accord , exhaust on the front , intake on the back.
Pulleys on the drivers side .

1706564410834.jpg

When I replaced the intake manifold gasket on my 2007 Corolla it was easy because the intake side was in the front. On my Scions the exhaust is in front and the intake is on the back side. The logic of this design eludes me because it makes both the exhaust and intake paths longer. It also likely makes the injectors harder to access.

If you have a transverse mounted inline which side is facing the radiator? Which placement is most common?
VW EA888. Firewall side. I think that is probably marginally more efficient from a thermal perspective.

Radiator side for the exhaust on my Regal, at least until 2014 when GM flipped things 180 degrees and put the turbo on the firewall side.
Turbo and exhaust on radiator side, intake, firewall side, 17 Regal GS.

I miss the old Chrysler 2.2/2.5 both were in the back and out of the way, nothing failed back there so you never had to deal with either of them and it left a ton of room up front for normal maintenance.
Such as "slip n slide" head gasket swapouts. Only took a couple hours!

The highly ubiquitous Volvo 5 cylinder engines are intake facing forward, exhaust (and turbo, if it has one) on the firewall side. I believe that a deciding factor is based on the oil pan capacity (how deep the pan is). That is, a larger capacity oil pan is deeper and thus leaves less room to route the exhaust beneath the pan. The Volvos typically have a pretty good capacity for such a small displacement. 5.8 qts for the S80, 5.5 qts for the V70R. There’s no way that an exhaust pipe is going to fit beneath the pan on any of my Volvos.

My Mazda had exhaust in front, intake in rear. I assumed they did that to reduce risk of fuel spill in a frontal crash, and to leave more vertical space for carburetor with air cleaner on top---an obsolete factor nowadays. Prius engine is oriented the opposite way, which is good, because the intake manifold needs to come off periodically to unclog its EGR passages, and the rear side of the engine is hopelessly inaccessible from above without removing cowl and wiper system.

Most, if not all, old Hondas had the belts on left, transmission on right, regardless of which side the driver sat on (which would depend on country). Circa early-80s Mitsubishi-Dodge-Plymouth Colt/Champs with the silly 2×4=8-speed transmission also had pulleys on the left.

Putting the belts on the left with manual transmission requires either having the engine rotate opposite the customary direction (as in Hondas ) or an extra stage of gearing (as in the Mitsubishi example above).

Evo was in the rear with the turbo mounted under the exhaust manifold - that made it a 6-hour pain to work on the exhaust manifold/turbo/downpipe. Focus was on the front with the turbo mounted under the manifold. Cx5 is at the rear.

As previously mentioned, mom's 95 Accord four cylinder has exhaust manifold on the front and pulleys on the drivers side.

Only things I owned that were FWD were a couple 2nd gen Escapes and the Volt. On the 2010 Ford Escape four cylinder the exhaust manifold was in the back with pulleys on the passenger side. On the Volt, no pulleys obviously, but I don't remember off the top of my head whether the exhaust was in the front or rear and a quick image search shows just the big plastic engine cover and I don't feel like looking it up further.

I do prefer the exhaust going to the rear, just seems more sensible for a few reasons.

First off, cooling... you want the exhaust/cat warm, while you want the intake cool... and the radiator and fan are on the front, and airflow is front to rear. Also, if the exhaust is in the front isn't it just going to heat up the oil pan?

Second, serviceability. Again, exhaust over oil pan is one more thing you have to remove if you need to replace the oil pan. And you're more likely going to need to do work to the intake side of the engine... intake gaskets, throttle body cleaning, etc. so it makes sense to have that all up front.

Of course turbo engines complicate this and perhaps the front is better for that?

View attachment 200829
Following up. My first transverse turbo 4…. Turbo and exhaust toward firewall. Makes for an easy access package.

On my Jetta 1.4 lease, these was mouse nest built around the turbo, actually had a fire at the firewall on the interstate to Boston when that got hot; the car was only 3 weeks old. No place to pull over, luckily it burnt itself out. Nice smell.

Like the OP's Corolla, my Scion XD has the intake front, exhaust to the rear. Essentially the same 2ZR engine I believe. My Scion XB-2 (2AZ) is the reverse of that. I agree that for the more common intake work, an intake gasket or the PCV valve under the intake on the 2ZR, forward intake is way handier.

I've had a whole lot of traverse engine FWD cars over the last 45 years. Perhaps 6 or 7 makes. From what I recall, nearly all of them had rear intake, front exhaust. Grade A pain received on an 2nd gen Altima KA-24 with a blown intake gasket.

Yes the accords of that era were like that.
In 97 Honda introduced a V6 option in the Accord but I don’t know which way the transmission was facing on that one.
J Series pulleys are on the pass side (US Cars) Transmission on driver.

Mom's 2022 Maverick is intake forward.

Back