Which side is the exhaust on your transverse inline engine?

When I replaced the intake manifold gasket on my 2007 Corolla it was easy because the intake side was in the front. On my Scions the exhaust is in front and the intake is on the back side. The logic of this design eludes me because it makes both the exhaust and intake paths longer. It also likely makes the injectors harder to access.

If you have a transverse mounted inline which side is facing the radiator? Which placement is most common?

Radiator side for the exhaust on my Regal, at least until 2014 when GM flipped things 180 degrees and put the turbo on the firewall side.

I miss the old Chrysler 2.2/2.5 both were in the back and out of the way, nothing failed back there so you never had to deal with either of them and it left a ton of room up front for normal maintenance.

Korean vehicles seem to have it towards the firewall, while Asian and American vehicles tend to have the exhaust side towards the radiator. It's not 100% accurate, but that's been my observation.

I miss the old Chrysler 2.2/2.5 both were in the back and out of the way, nothing failed back there so you never had to deal with either of them and it left a ton of room up front for normal maintenance.
I dont they were a head gasket nightmare.....esp the turbo..

We've two transverse/inline engines in the stable.
Both have the intake up front and the exhaust on the firewall side.

The 4 cyl. Saabs had the opposite. That layout would facilitate turbo removal; something I never had to do.

Korean vehicles seem to have it towards the firewall, while Asian and American vehicles tend to have the exhaust side towards the radiator. It's not 100% accurate, but that's been my observation.
I've owned exactly 1 Korean Vehicle, and it's exhaust was facing the rad.. ( open hood, look down, giant heat shield, with HOT stamped into it) ( MY 2000 Hyundai Sonata, 2.4l)
The Neon I replaced it with, front intake, Rear Exhaust.
and I believe my Current Ford is Front intake, Rear exhaust as well....

2019 Corolla hatch, intake up front.
DSC00006.JPG

My '19 Jetta had turbo & exhaust in the back. My Ford(mazda) 2.0 has it also against the firewall.

Wife's Subaru has it underneath the engine below the "frame" rails left and right.
Oh, oops, that's a proper longitudinal mounting :)
I think the Camrys had them up front as a road trip oven and grill.

Camry Roadtrip Cooker
toyota camry heat shield cooker.jpg

The Honda Exhaust and Grille
Screenshot 2024-01-27 101146.jpg

My 2007 Mini Cooper S 1.6 L turbo 4 has the exhaust, and the turbo, front and center.

Does it make removing and replacing the turbo super easy? NO! The front of the car comes off to remove it, because the turbo mount on the exhaust manifold is inaccessible unless the manifold is off and on the bench.

I just cleaned and mounted a new turbo on my exhaust manifold yesterday in preparation for going back on the engine.

07 Mazda3 2.3L 4cyl: Intake front, exhaust rear, pulleys on passenger side.

08 Hyundai Accent 1.6L 4 cyl: intake rear, exhaust front, pulleys on passenger side.

Included pulleys to indicate orientation of engine.

02 jetta TDI has intake, exhaust, and turbo between the engine and firewall. And the engine is tilted backwards slightly.

07 Mazda3 2.3L 4cyl: Intake front, exhaust rear, pulleys on passenger side.

08 Hyundai Accent 1.6L 4 cyl: intake rear, exhaust front, pulleys on passenger side.

Included pulleys to indicate orientation of engine.
I don’t recall ever seeing an engine with the pulleys on the driver’s side.

When I replaced the intake manifold gasket on my 2007 Corolla it was easy because the intake side was in the front. On my Scions the exhaust is in front and the intake is on the back side. The logic of this design eludes me because it makes both the exhaust and intake paths longer. It also likely makes the injectors harder to access.

If you have a transverse mounted inline which side is facing the radiator? Which placement is most common?

Exhaust in the front on mine, and on all transcerse mounted engines I ever had. No real idea why they do it one way or another, except for weight distribution. Engines with the exhaust at the back tend to be further away from the firewall and tilted backwards

I don’t recall ever seeing an engine with the pulleys on the driver’s side.
yup, my 96 Civic engine has the pulleys on the driver's side, exhaust in the front.. Would the pulleys on the driver's side have anything to do with the civic engine runs counter clockwise?

Back