Vapor Lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to go for a ride today. Started around 11:00 and grabbed a drink and fuel around 12:30. Outside temp is aound 100F. Bike water temp hovering around 70C. Now, I took a little break and got back on the bike. I made it about 100 yds before encountering an "issue". When I twisted the throttle, it acted like the clutch was slipping. REAL sluggish. I pulled over and it died. I got it to start after a couple of attempts and actually had to increase the idle to around 1.5k to get it to keep running.

I decided to cut my ride short and try to limp back home. First light I came to (after only a couple hundred yards), I clutched in and the rpms hit around 3k in neutral. I adjusted them back down to around 1k and the bike was fine.

Bike is a 2007 Yamaha YZF600R, carbed. Was this just a case of vapor lock? Or is there something else I may possibly be concerned about? If it is vapor lock, any ideas as how to avoid it in the future?

So, now that it is cool, does it run fine...? If so, probably is.

I get it when I shut off the engine for a few minutes, mine takes an extra 5 seconds to start. I have not run it in that high heat though.

Good luck, let us know if it runs fine when cool....

On the way back to the house, I stopped again and shut the bike down for 10-15 minutes or so. Started up fine and drove fine. I thought maybe that since I ran it low on fuel (reserve light was on- put in 4.23 in a 5.02 tank), that may have caused it. I've had gas pumps (vapor lock but never an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back