Van totalled in car wash

Our oldest son's van ('09 Kia Sedona) had an unrepairable flat tire. Given the age of the van and high price of the hard-to-find replacement tires (225/70-16, I think) he looked at used.

He found a set of four tires for sale, mounted on 6-hole Kia steel wheels. The tires appear to be in excellent shape with about 20K km on them. (His van runs steel wheels rather than alloys for both the 3-season and winter tires, so the steel wheels are not a downgrade.)

When the donor van was totalled, it was still running winter tires, thus the ready-to-go 3-season tires in storage.

So how did the donor van get totalled?

As the seller told my son, he (the seller) took the van to a drive-through car wash. The whole family was aboard.

When they got partway through, there was a series of loud thumping noises, followed quickly by smashing glass, water pouring in through the broken windows, and crying children, and bewildered parents.

The van emerged with passengers uninjured, though traumatized, and with much body damage and broken glass.

It turned out a load strap had come off a previous vehicle, and had gotten tied up in one of the rotating brushes. The steel buckle, whirling at high speed, made quite the weapon.

Our public insurer wrote the van off, and compensated the family fairly. Presumably they (the insurer) will go after the car wash owners, who will try to find the vehicle that dropped the load strap.

The family bought a newer Kia van. The newer vans use 5-hole wheels, and a different tire size, so the wheels for the old van wouldn't have fit.

I haven't been through a drive-through car was in many years, and this does nothing to change my mind.

Tell me more, please. Is this a Canadian thing...like Ombudsmen in Scandinavia?
If OP is in BC, they have state run liability insurance

Public auto insurance is a government-owned and -operated system of compulsory automobile insurance used in the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Quebec. It is based on the idea that if motorists are compelled to purchase auto insurance by the government, the government ought to ensure motorists pay fair premiums and receive high-quality coverage. Governments across the country have used various insurance schemes from full tort to full no-fault in pursuit of that goal.

Public auto insurers in Canada have historically operated on a not-for-profit basis. The exception is the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), which had its enabling legislation amended in 2010 to allow the provincial government to compel it to pay dividends into the provincial treasury.

Interesting story OP, I've never heard of a car wash totalling a car 🤔

Wow! I was behind a Subaru in my local tunnel wash last year when the aftermarket roof rack got pulled right off the top of the car and dropped in front of me. I honked and they shut down the wash before I got pulled into it or hit from behind.

Wow ! Hmmm … they are building yet another spinning brush wash in my little village - I might use it a couple times for grins - then keep this in mind and just use a wand …

I had a strip on top of my Honda come loose in an automatic wash and it banged on my car a few times before being flung to the concrete. It could have been bad if a window broke. No damage to my vehicle at all. Glad no-one was hurt in the car wash accident. With hundreds of thousands of automatic car washes in operation these things can happen. I love automatic car washes but will not run my Corvette through one. The car wash I use for 3 vehicles has a conveyor type system and the wheels on the car do not turn while going through the wash. The attendant does not use a brush and bucket either. I am totally satisfied with my local automatic car wash.

I recall 20 years ago I was at our local service station and they have a car wash. It used the floor rails to hold and guide the cars through the wash. Posted on a large sign were the usual disclaimers about add ons, heavy rust (here in Minnesota, very common), and cars and trucks with nonstandard wheels or spacers.

A guy in a late 90s Dodge Ram with ridiculously wide stanced wheels tried to run his truck through the wash, despite the warning. (You bought your wash code through the fuel purchase so no one was there to stop him). Of course his truck got stuck and could not go through the wash. It was running his wash in the empty bay, with him trying to force his truck through but going nowhere. And people in line weren’t happy with him.

His solution was to scream at the station operator and his staff for “ripping him off” and having an inadequate car wash, with the usual expletives. But - it wasn’t his fault! 🤣

Public auto insurance is a government-owned and -operated system of compulsory automobile insurance used in the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Quebec. It is based on the idea that if motorists are compelled to purchase auto insurance by the government, the government ought to ensure motorists pay fair premiums and receive high-quality coverage. Governments across the country have used various insurance schemes from full tort to full no-fault in pursuit of that goal.

Public auto insurers in Canada have historically operated on a not-for-profit basis. The exception is the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), which had its enabling legislation amended in 2010 to allow the provincial government to compel it to pay dividends into the provincial treasury.

He's in Manitoba.

Seems like a prudent wash operator would not allow a vehicle with any extras like straps or racks or whatever to go through their wash.
They don't.... Every self-service car wash I've seen has multiple signs, warnings, begging pleas, etc about what can go through their wash, what can't, and so on. Far too many don't care or listen though.

That's crazy!
But I did have experience about mis-calibrated car wash arm push too close to my vehicle, and bent my mirror housing to the wrong direction... Very annoying.

Good summary. The distinctive thing here is that MPIC went over to no-fault insurance c. 25 years ago.

Never! Never into these car washers. In winter, there is good manual car wash with heated water where I can rinse salt etc.
in summer my 3200psi Honda does the job.
And the build them like mushrooms after rain. I think we have 4 in 3 mile radius.

Seems like a prudent wash operator would not allow a vehicle with any extras like straps or racks or whatever to go through their wash.
I was gonna say all of our local car washes won't allow you through if you have anything aftermarket like roof racks, tow straps, etc attached to the vehicle. Same with any pickup bed that isn't completely empty.

Glad I asked.
A car wash thread efficiently morphing into an insurance lesson.

I was gonna say all of our local car washes won't allow you through if you have anything aftermarket like roof racks, tow straps, etc attached to the vehicle. Same with any pickup bed that isn't completely empty.
Three cheers for their thoughtfulness but, don't they also refuse responsibility if their machine tears your wipers off?
It's the old, "at your own risk, clause".

Back