Valvoline zddp content 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Isn't the T5 10w30 CK- 4 still high in zddp or is this thread to old?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4377748/Searchpage/7/Main/268751/Words/%2BRotella+%2BT5+%2B/Search/true/shell-rotella-t5-10w-30-api-ck-4#Post4377748

you're gonna hate this but i would prefer to avoid sopus too, just like i'm not a huge mobil fan. i would use an oil from the following brands: royal purple, valvoline, castrol, oreilly, chevron

My Napa carries VR1 10w30 for a little over $6 a qt. I like Valvoline products myself, the T5 was just on my list of oils to try in my 89 5.7. I'm going to run VWB 5w30 this winter then I have some VR1 10w30 in my stash for next summer.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Those TBI truck cams have gentle lobes, low lift, and light spring loads. It should run forever on any API SN oil. Remember... oils in the 1960s weren't loaded up with ZDDP.

Isn't the T5 10w30 CK- 4 still high in zddp or is this thread to old?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4377748/Searchpage/7/Main/268751/Words/%2BRotella+%2BT5+%2B/Search/true/shell-rotella-t5-10w-30-api-ck-4#Post4377748

you're gonna hate this but i would prefer to avoid sopus too, just like i'm not a huge mobil fan. i would use an oil from the following brands: royal purple, valvoline, castrol, oreilly, chevron

My Napa carries VR1 10w30 for a little over $6 a qt. I like Valvoline products myself, the T5 was just on my list of oils to try in my 89 5.7. I'm going to run VWB 5w30 this winter then I have some VR1 10w30 in my stash for next summer.

In California VR1 (other than 20w-50) is not available in any retail store. For $6/qt I'd use VR1 10w-30 no questions asked!

Well someone with the same name as me over at Valvoline told me this when I asked about ZDDP content in the latest formulation of Maxlife 10w-30:

Michael, thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support.

This product contains 830ppm zinc and 760 ppm phosphorous.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at [email protected] for assistance.

Thank you and have a great day.

Michael
Valvoline Product Support

Regardless, yesterday I used the Delo. I'd still be interested in exact Zinc/Phosphorous numbers on the Delo but I don't have that data right now.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dave1251
This engine if the did not fail by now due to SN levels of ZDDP it is not going to now.

i guess you have a point there and i'm overthinking this
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
This engine if the did not fail by now due to SN levels of ZDDP it is not going to now.

i guess you have a point there and i'm overthinking this
laugh.gif

I understand this is the same reason I joined in 2005.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
You DO NOT need a high level of Zn in your '95 275K 350. That is an old myth that just won't die. High Zn is required for modified engines with high lift camshafts and high valve spring pressures which your Chevy does not have. That engine is well broken in. Now, if you were installing a NEW cam/lifter combo I WOULD use a break in lube on the cam/lifters and do a cam break in according to what engine builders do with modified engines. After the break in you can run whatever oil. Anything over 800ppm ZN is fine for your engine. Flat tappet cam/lifter wear begins at below 600-700ppm.

I did a huge amount of research on this subject when I bought my '93 F150 in 2003 with a flat tappet, 1960's designed, engine. My conclusion was use what the OM says (not thicker and not thinner) and don't use ILSAC GF5 oils (Energy Conserving/Resource Conserving). These oils tend to be on the Low KV@100c and have lower Zn levels and lower HTHS to achieve better fuel economy. I use HM oil because they are on the "thick" (HTHS and KV) side and I like staying with ACEA A3 oils.

I agree with your comments.I got this response from a Castrol ATS when i asked questions relating to ZDDP levels, and the role it plays in oils.

Interesting question - if you look at how ZDDP actually works, having more doesn't mean more protection - just longer protection (where the ZDDP is actually getting used up)

If you can imagine the ZDDP as millions of tiny firefighters in the oil - where there is a break on the oil film, you get friction which creates high temperatures - this leads to a fire. The firefighters all rush to the fire and put it out (the ZDDP activates with the heat and creates an anti-weld surface) and in this process some of the firefighters are lost - but others remain to put out the next fire. Each fire only takes so many firefighters, so adding more doesn't mean more protection. I hope that makes sense?

The zinc levels in Castrol products across the board are around 900 - 1100PPM which we consider quite adequate for protection during the service life of the oil. Bear in mind todays oils are far stronger than previous oils as modern engines produce a lot more ( at least 2x) heat and pressure than old engines - so I would have no worries using the latest products in an older engine at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ether
Bear in mind todays oils are far stronger than previous oils as modern engines produce a lot more ( at least 2x) heat and pressure than old engines - so I would have no worries using the latest products in an older engine at all.

The oil is stronger?

And i'm not sure I agree that "modern" engines produce at least 2X the heat and pressure - why would that be different?

Power density. Main bearing and rod bearing sizes on a 3.5L V6 (for example) have not gotten considerably larger than 30 years ago, but today they are making 300 hp vs 160 hp back in the old days. With increased loads, come increase localized oil temps.

At least that's my take on it. The "modern engines" comment has nothing to do with cam wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

And i'm not sure I agree that "modern" engines produce at least 2X the heat and pressure - why would that be different?

TURBO....GDi....TGDi...TFSi....TCe....JTDm....CRDi...

I4 1.5-2.0L designs giving more HP/L then Yenkees V6-V8 3.5-5.0L lawnmower designs...

Pssssssssttt.....politics.....lock time
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

It's "Yankees". And the Yankees V6-V8 lawn mower engines will still be running strong when the high strung I4's are long gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back