Valvoline Top Treat Engine Flush

Went to Wally yesterday and they were zombieland dead. Asked the manager if he had time and he said he would do it himself. Went ahead and asked to try the oil flush. It's not a solvent and it runs for 10minutes idling. I got to watch and I asked him to drain vs siphon and gave new crush washer. Enjoyed being able to watch and he said nothing bad came out when the drain was pulled. Fram Ultra 7317 and 0w30 Mobil 1 back in. All in all, not a bad experience. He said I take really good care of my car and enjoyed seeing high mileage cars without leaks and clean undercarriage. Current mileage at 231,583 miles.

This is from the SDS:
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM),
HYDROTREATED LIGHT
NAPHTHENIC
64742-53-6

8 mm2/s (104 °F / 40 °C)....

anyone want to guess a 212F visc???

Works like a solvent, smells like a solvent.... quack quack

Hopefully any residual left behind cooks off. But, after using ANY solvent distillate flush product, I'd recommend an early oil/filter change to remove the residual.

This is from the SDS:
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM),
HYDROTREATED LIGHT
NAPHTHENIC
64742-53-6

8 mm2/s (104 °F / 40 °C)....

anyone want to guess a 212F visc???

Works like a solvent, smells like a solvent.... quack quack

Hopefully any residual left behind cooks off. But, after using ANY solvent distillate flush product, I'd recommend an early oil/filter change to remove the residual.
I mean the pour and smell test alone would tell me it's a solvent.

Perhaps not all solvents harm seals? In the product description they explicitly state that their product does not contain seal harming solvents. It does not state that it does not contain solvents.

Quack quack.

Perhaps not all solvents harm seals? In the product description they explicitly state that their product does not contain seal harming solvents. It does not state that it does not contain solvents.

Quack quack.
Every liquid and some solids are a solvent. Like you note it comes down to compatibility.

Went to Wally yesterday and they were zombieland dead. Asked the manager if he had time and he said he would do it himself. Went ahead and asked to try the oil flush. It's not a solvent and it runs for 10minutes idling. I got to watch and I asked him to drain vs siphon and gave new crush washer. Enjoyed being able to watch and he said nothing bad came out when the drain was pulled. Fram Ultra 7317 and 0w30 Mobil 1 back in. All in all, not a bad experience. He said I take really good care of my car and enjoyed seeing high mileage cars without leaks and clean undercarriage. Current mileage at 231,583 miles.
Glad it worked out, next time change your oil, put in fresh oil and run BGREP109 at idle for 20 minutes and see what happens. Use a cheap 10W-30 oil, then drain it and put in your favorite oil. That is my plan this Summer.

I am not worried about or even mentioned seals.

I would be concerned about running hot oil with something that thins it out even more. They is why many of the flushing products were 'cold engine' 5-15 minute flushes. Now, they don't mention 'cold engine'. Guess they had to cater to the quicklubes that only work on hot/warm engines from being driven there.

Unless there is some issue, I wouldn't bother. Easier to adapt a more sensible oil change and not worry about distillate flushes. Would be interesting to see if MPG, idle smoothness, pep, whatever... improves or not. A well cared car shouldn't notice much difference.

BG 109 is even thinner than the Valvoline stuff. Amsoil too is pretty thin.

I haven't seen any work better than any other. Local autopart stores carry these, and walmart usually has one for $5-7.

I buy the Fram Ultra and I change it every 10, 000 or 20,000 miles but I either siphon or drain about every five to six thousand miles and I replace it with at least three quarts of new fluid. I've got some issues with my vertebrae towards my tailbone so climbing up underneath that sometimes depending on the weather can be more of a task then I want it to be in which then I just will siphon out from the dipstick.

Reactions: wlk
I am not worried about or even mentioned seals.

I would be concerned about running hot oil with something that thins it out even more. They is why many of the flushing products were 'cold engine' 5-15 minute flushes. Now, they don't mention 'cold engine'. Guess they had to cater to the quicklubes that only work on hot/warm engines from being driven there.

Unless there is some issue, I wouldn't bother. Easier to adapt a more sensible oil change and not worry about distillate flushes. Would be interesting to see if MPG, idle smoothness, pep, whatever... improves or not. A well cared car shouldn't notice much difference.

BG 109 is even thinner than the Valvoline stuff. Amsoil too is pretty thin.

I haven't seen any work better than any other. Local autopart stores carry these, and walmart usually has one for $5-7.
I still have some quarts of the high performance lubricants engine clean 30 to use up which I think will be a better idea. I've also got like a half a case of Redline oil left too so I'm definitely thinking those are going to be better products to use to keep things cleaner. If I ever had to use a flush again I would probably go back to lubegard and the white bottle.

Probably the same as all the popular flush products, a solvent added to the oil idled and drained. Not going to hurt you car. No need to worry about draining again to get all those "residuals" out...anything left is in such incredibly low concentration with the fresh oil fill I can't see why folks worry about this meanwhile they have a few % gasoline in their oil and go about their day. I always look at it as giving a more complete drain but of course that's based on speculation that it does anything in such low concentration w/r to the oil volume but I've used the Liquimoly flush product many times in my VW fleet.

Probably the same as all the popular flush products, a solvent added to the oil idled and drained. Not going to hurt you car. No need to worry about draining again to get all those "residuals" out...anything left is in such incredibly low concentration with the fresh oil fill I can't see why folks worry about this meanwhile they have a few % gasoline in their oil and go about their day. I always look at it as giving a more complete drain but of course that's based on speculation that it does anything in such low concentration w/r to the oil volume but I've used the Liquimoly flush product many times in my VW fleet.
Yeah you've got enough of the people's car start running a small dealership 🤣

There's only two Volkswagens I have ever liked. The scirocco and corrado
Both sweet ones for sure. Corrados were sooooo cool....I mean a 6 cylinder in a car that size was mind-blowing to me back then! I prefer the roof that is long...

A93A1728.jpg

Back