Rear End nightmare

I've had my share of diff issues and ratio changes, found a guy that specialized in diffs especially trucks. I would favor a used oem with the yard installing and warranting their parts/labour. Or rebuild with trutrac.

Reactions: D60
Not surprised. As humans devolve, their creations are a downward spiral of failure.

Most problems with anything, especially differentials are caused by one thing. Too much rushing to get the job done quick.
Too bad some bosses haven't figured that out. To properly set up some differentials it takes a long time. And you need some very special tools.

I had a whining Ford differential. The pinion nut loosened up. I tightened until the pinion preload spec was met and no more whine and groan. I lucked out. If yours is not from lack of lubrication, it's worth checking.

I would buy a junkyard diff before investing that much money to save it.
www.car-parts.com

Back in early '08 I heard noise I didn't like from the rear, opened the 8 3/8 chrysler diff cover to find some heavily pitted spider gears, a caked magnet, and pitted axleshafts where they ride on the outer bearings.

Got a few quotes from people who recommended I just get a junkyard axle. All quotes were all in the 1600 to 1800$ range with a big asterix depending on if R&P could be reused.

I did the junkyard scramble and found a 9.25 chrysler with the same 3.55:1 ratio. There was not a lot of fuzz on magnet. 500$.

I installed it and it was louder than the 8 3/8.

But, I'd needed a conversion U joint to fit the larger 9.25 yoke.
When I opened up the old U joint, all the roller bearings were flattened and kinked diagonally in the caps!
Likely the source of the noise which had me condemn the 8 3/8.

I took the vehicle to a driveline shop. They found the junkyard axle housing was bent, straightened it, painted it, new bearings, yelled at me for using loc tite red on U bolts. 800+ dollars.

60k miles later I try to tell myself I did not screw up, that I'm better off with a slightly heavier duty axle... its water and money long long under the bridge.
It's still quiet.
Put some Schaeffers 293 75w-90 in there about 12k mostly highway miles ago.

Back