"Valvoline the Great"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just talked to a Valvoline tech and am very impressed. I asked him if VR1 Racing Oil was conventional or a blend. He said that is is strictly conventional, made up of Group II and Group III base oils. I noted that it could be considered a blend in that it has Group III. He replied that Group III is not synthetic. This tells me that when Valvoline says an oil is synthetic, you are getting majority Groups IV and V.

This is great news! Go Valvoline!
banana2.gif

I wonder when they get their hands on Group 3 + if they will still be calling it a mineral oil......Here is Oz Ashland still call Synpower synthetic, Durablend Semi Synthetic, VR1 racing and others synthetically enhanced, and pretty much only use Group 3 as Synthetic base.

TallPaul
I don't want any misinformation being spread on here. I think our technical contact informed you incorrectly. Valvoline does consider the GpIII baseoil we use to be synthetic. Even though we may use GP III in a formulation we may not market it as a synthetic blend.

Doesn't the entire industry call GpIII synthetic as well? I think that came about from a lawsuit which XOM was involved in?

Ever since I found out that when MaxLife first came out, it contained Gr IV and V components, and they didnt even call it a synthetic blend back then. I was impressed with Ashland. It actually took them some time before they realised they could capitalize on it's blended nature. Usually marketing wh***s like oil companies don't miss an opportunity to overmarket some aspect of their product, no matter how inane or innate.

Additives are as important, possibly even more so than the base oils.

Quote:
According to Royal Purple's Martin, oil really doesn't become what it is until you add the additives.

"All of the benefits are in the additives," says Martin. "Even in terms of racing oils most oil companies purchase additive packages. There are only a handful of additive suppliers globally. So in many cases the oils are basically the same with the only differences being the marketing."

"We actually manufacture our own additives. We aren't a refinery so we buy our base oil but that's the flour in the cake. The two major characteristics of our additives is the film strength, which is the load carrying characteristics of the oil not just the wear, and the oxidation resistance."

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/Artic...nce_engine.aspx

+1 Buster.

These days, the efficacy of the oil can be 50% or more (just goofy numbers put in to emphasize the importance) reliant on the quality of the adds. So often we make a big deal on the "value proposition" of the basestock, and there often is no real basis.

Last edited:
They are important. But they surely have a limited role, you can't use additives to make a Gr I or II perform like Gr V.

A depressed person may appear happier than a non-depressed person, on medication. I'd rather be the guy thats NOT on medication.

Originally Posted By: Valvman
TallPaul
I don't want any misinformation being spread on here. I think our technical contact informed you incorrectly. Valvoline does consider the GpIII baseoil we use to be synthetic. Even though we may use GP III in a formulation we may not market it as a synthetic blend.

Thank you Valvman for trying to control the spread of misinformation and rumors. How much training does one go through to earn the title "technician"? Can the "techs" that answer the phones wander back into the lab or testing area and start working if the phones aren't ringing.? Or are they simply trained in how to look up an answer on a Rolodex or a computer and give to the caller or letter writer?

Base oils are more important when you start extending your drain intervals. So yeah, under 8k miles, not as important as the add pack, IMHO.

TallPaul

Hey Valvman,

how about passing on a message that us BITOG folks miss the free after rebate valvoline deals!
grin2.gif

TallPaul
Thank you Valvman. I certainly didn't want to spread misinformation. It's also possible that I misunderstood the tech person.

It's nice to know we have a Valvoline person on the board.

Regardless my subject title still applys. Valvoline is Great!

I agree its cool that we have a Valvoline person on board! Thanks for joining and commenting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back