"Valvoline the Great"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow FrankN4, you live by a holy man.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Originally Posted By: jmac
Originally Posted By: mcrn
I agree its cool that we have a Valvoline person on board! Thanks for joining and commenting!

So the new user valveman has claimed to work for Ashland Corp.?
Where and when did this occur?

I came to BITOG in April of last year and Valveman was here when I got here. He is more than a Valvoline tech man, much more. He lives up the road from me and is with the Valvoline side of Ashland.

k thank you,
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Wow FrankN4, you live by a holy man.
wink.gif

That is a "Kentucky" up the road Tall Paul.
crazy2.gif
Somewhat like a "country mile," "up yonder," "around the bluff." Unfortunately, we are not next door neighbors.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i liked using durablend in my camry. however, valvoline australia have dumbed down their website to a marketing tool and carwash ad. Can;t find technical info on their site. just adspeak. this has me disappointed.

I agree with crinkles, the Durablend is a very good oil here in Australia, but this oil is still blended with Group 1 here.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
Would there be any reason not to use Valvoline Syn Maxlife in a turbocharged motor? Is there anything in the oil that could harm the turbo? Will the oil hold up to the higher temps and torture the turbo will put it thru?

i would check the NOACK % and go for the lowest #, might be the Synpower full syn... no... see 1

I have been running ASL for most of the 49000 miles that are on the motor. I am just thinking about going Maxlife Synthetic 5w30 to see if it can rid the motor of a couple small leaks. One is in the oil pan, and the other one I havent quite pin pointed yet. The oil pan is quite a job to do, that is why I havent fixed that one yet. I would have to remove power steering lines, the K frame, turbo charge pipe, oil cooler, and power steering cooler just to remove the oil pan. I contacted Valvoline about HT/HS and they said the 5w30 is 3.5 and the 10w30 is 3.6.

The maxlife has a higher Viscosity and a lower noack%. The maxlife is A3 and the synpower is A5, but I dont know what those mean....?

Last edited:
the NOACK for MaxLife blend is
i don't know if it will help a pan leak but you could try MaxLife 10W-30 or 10W-40 for at least 2 or 3 intervals. since this is the Vali-Vali-Valvoline thread

another option is ARx w/ conv first

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ] the NOACK for MaxLife blend is div>

Dang, I see Valvoline just put out new product specs at the end of last month.

Synpower NOACK numbers are pretty much 10% across the board, a major improvement from the across the board 13.5% they had listed just a few weeks ago.

I didn't realize Valvoline stepped up their game that much.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/Synpower.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hooligan24
The maxlife is A3 and the synpower is A5, but I dont know what those mean....?
These are ACEA specs, which are European. A3 required minimum HTHS of 3.5, A3 is more robust than either A5 or A1, but I don't know a whole lot more about it. If you google "ACEA spec" you should get some good info. It also has been talked about on this site.

A3 is not "more robust". It's in fact the same spec in terms of service life, just thinner HT/HS at 2.9cP vs 3.5 for an A3 oil.

imo, for most engines A5 is the most relavent spec to look for.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
A3 is not "more robust". It's in fact the same spec in terms of service life, just thinner HT/HS at 2.9cP vs 3.5 for an A3 oil.

imo, for most engines A5 is the most relavent spec to look for.
I guess it depends on the definition of robustness. To me a higher HTHS is a clear sign of a more robust oil.

Nah, HT/HS is just one measure. You can have an oil with a HT/HS of 3.5> but the oil might have a weak additive package and be poorly formulated. .02

Originally Posted By: JonnyHotcakes

Too much emphasis on basestocks.

Just title a sticky: New oil/filter every 3/3000.
Have the monitors close every thread by admonishing the poster to use the search feature before posting.

In the skyscraper forum there is too much emphasis on height. It never ends.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
There's a skyscraper forum?
crazy2.gif

Of course there is. Lot's of good info and plenty of experts. Here's a thread I just posted:

Quote:

How high is high?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: Johnny
There's a skyscraper forum?
crazy2.gif

Of course there is. Lot's of good info and plenty of experts. Here's a thread I just posted:

Quote:

How high is high?

Its classified as high when its high enough to kill you when you hit the ground.

Originally Posted By: buster
Nah, HT/HS is just one measure. You can have an oil with a HT/HS of 3.5> but the oil might have a weak additive package and be poorly formulated. .02
Of course. I should have qualified my statement, "all else equal."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back