Valvoline Synpower uses really good base oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also curious as to the base. I have a jug of Synpower and a jug of QHP (picked up both with the good rebate offers). I assume they are both grp III based, but would like to know for sure.

ditto, i have been using BOGO synpower for almost 2 years now. btw has anyone noticed that they stopped the BOGO synpower??

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
I emailed Valvoline about the same thing. They told me it's a blend of Group III, IV and V

Synpower is group III. I would like to see where Valvoline told you they also had PAO and esters in it.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: sparkplug
I emailed Valvoline about the same thing. They told me it's a blend of Group III, IV and V

Synpower is group III. I would like to see where Valvoline told you they also had PAO and esters in it.

linky.

I suspect most SynPower is Korean S-Oil GrpIII base. The 20W50 stuff is likely PAO though. Ashland is a distributor and a blender and likely uses off-the-shelf add' pack since they distribute them also.

Originally Posted By: glenncof
SynPower ...20W50 stuff is likely PAO though..
Interesting comment. The prior MSDS for it showed mostly PAO by CAS number. Somewhere on this site is a thread where the reason was stated (I think by one of our oil experts) why a 20w50 might be PAO whereas the other oils in the same brand may be Group III. Wish I could remember where that thread went.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: glenncof
SynPower ...20W50 stuff is likely PAO though..
Interesting comment. The prior MSDS for it showed mostly PAO by CAS number. Somewhere on this site is a thread where the reason was stated (I think by one of our oil experts) why a 20w50 might be PAO whereas the other oils in the same brand may be Group III.

Group III base oils are only made in a narrow viscosity range from roughly 4 cSt to 8 cSt. Thus, you simply can't make a 20w50 from all Group III. There has to be some high vis PAO or esters in there to make a "synthetic" 20w50.

Edit: This is also why if you buy a "full synthetic" gear oil, you can be sure it's not made with Group III.

Last edited:
I was also told that Synpower was a mix of III, IV and V when I emailed about it last year. I think I had specifically asked about 5w30 and 5w20.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I was also told that Synpower was a mix of III, IV and V when I emailed about it last year. I think I had specifically asked about 5w30 and 5w20.

The unspoken part of that is the relative percentage. My hunch is that Synower really just uses the Group IV and V components as additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back