Valvoline Premium Blue Restore

Let's make a price estimate using the known costs of the base stocks.

$ PAO = 2 x $ Group III
$ POE = 4 x $ Group III
$ AN = 3 * $ Group III

1 gallon Group III = $22

1 gallon Valvoline Premium Blue Restore = $22 x ( 0.625 (POE) x 4 + 0.250 (PAO) x 2 + 0.125 (AN) x 3) = $20 x 3.375 = $74

It's selling for $73. Therefore, the price is fair.

Current posted pricing for Group III is $3.45 to $5.43/gallon in bulk, fob Gulf Coast.

Base Oil Prices per Lube Report

There are dozens of different lubricant grade POEs available and most are roughly $17-$27/gallon in bulk. The base oil cost for VPBR is likely well below $25/gallon, especially with Valvoline's buying power. The high price tag is justified not on cost but on function in that the product is being marketed as a one-time cleaning treatment and therefore compared to other cleaning options. It also doubles as the engine lubricant during the cleaning.

Diesters do not have more polarity than POEs. As ester families they overlap, and the most common Diester (DTDA) has less polarity than the vast majority of POEs as measured by their Non-Polarity Index. Priolube 1973 has the least polarity compared to most other POEs due to its long acid chains and only two ester linkages. That is likely why it was selected in order to minimize effects on seals and interference with ZDDP at high dosages.

Originally Posted by ruSSrt
How do you guys feel about using this once in 05 Passat TDI with 190k miles? Vehicle is new to me and I don't know it much yet, but maybe on the next oil change I should try for a good measure?

I think that would be overkill. I would run a baseline using the appropriate SYN oil in 5W-30 to 5W40. I think you'd be better off using a bottle of Rislone Engine Treatment...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Originally Posted by ruSSrt
How do you guys feel about using this once in 05 Passat TDI with 190k miles? Vehicle is new to me and I don't know it much yet, but maybe on the next oil change I should try for a good measure?

I think that would be overkill. I would run a baseline using the appropriate SYN oil in 5W-30 to 5W40. I think you'd be better off using a bottle of Rislone Engine Treatment...

Thank you. I will look in to it

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Worth nothing from the product info:

. Cummins® engine approved. For long-lasting, optimized operating conditions, Cummins recommends use of Valvoline Premium Blue Restore™ Oil and Fleetguard Cummins LF14000NN filter once a year or every 120,000 to 150,000 miles to help prevent carbon buildup from recurring

Do not use with any other oil. Should be used as a full volume fill product and must be run for one entire standard lubricating oil drain interval. Regular oil is then used in subsequent oil fills.

During the installation of Valvoline Premium Blue Restoreâ„¢ Oil, a Cummins Filtration LF 14000NN lubricating oil filter must also be installed or premature lubricating oil filter plugging may result. Lubricating oil filter plugging can result in internal engine damage. Fleetguard LF 14000NN filter's superior efficiency and capacity captures and holds the dissolved carbon without filter plugging.

They're recommending using a high capacity filter. They're expecting a lot of trash to come out.

The filter they reference is a seriously high capacity filter than is also a dual flow filter containing an internal bypass filter.

If you're actually planning to do any internal cleaning, doesn't it make sense to swap oil filters out frequently anyway?

They recommend running this oil for the full typical semi truck interval of like 25k miles, hence the need for what sounds like a crappy oil filter designed to not clog along the way.

I'd rather use a proper filter and simply replace it say every 5-10k miles with a fresh one to collect and remove as much of the carbon being dissolved as possible vs using a filter with more flow so it doesn't clog but in return you get less filtration.

I feel they are making this easy for your average Joe to use but if you really wanna get technical... I think high quality oil filters swapped out frequently is the way to go.

If using this in a regular high mileage gas engine with problems, I'd change the oil filter @ 500 miles and then @ 1,500 miles and change the oil & filter out after 3k miles of cleaning if it's not tar black well before this point. HAHAHAHA.

I'm wondering if this will help restore performance / compression by cleaning carbon in my Mazda Rotary engines.... hmmmmm.

Originally Posted by huntsonora
Just bought 4 gallons to use in my 98 12 valve. Probably won't get the oil changed for a few weeks though

you spent ~$300 on an oil change for a 98 12 valve?? You realize they don't have the ring sticking issue the newer Cummins have right?

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Just bought 4 gallons to use in my 98 12 valve. Probably won't get the oil changed for a few weeks though

you spent ~$300 on an oil change for a 98 12 valve?? You realize they don't have the ring sticking issue the newer Cummins have right?

Spent $260 on the oil for 4 gallons, my truck takes 3. I normally spend $75 or so for oil per oil change so for an additional $120 I'm trying it out. If I don't use the 4th gallon I'll use it somewhere else or let somebody else give it a go

I am burning a little more oil than normal and I do have extended idles in the winter here in Colorado so we'll see what happens. If it does nothing then it does nothing, I don't care. I have 205k on my truck and absolutely love it, plan on keeping it and it's [censored] sure not going to hurt anything

Originally Posted by racin4ds

It's his truck, not sure why you are making a big deal about this.

Originally Posted by Artem

I'm wondering if this will help restore performance / compression by cleaning carbon in my Mazda Rotary engines.... hmmmmm.

Doesnt seals on wankel engines have problems with any oil that is not mineral?

I use Motorex 4T in my KTM and I'm always amazed how clean it is when the clutch cover is off - it's at least 50% of some kind of real synthetic. Valvoline says not to mix it to achieve the results they want for their engines over the one OCI. I might try a blend in a gaser. At 25% over time you would think it would suck a lot of crud into suspension.

Its funny that the same can be achieved with a 1-2 ozes of diesel in the oil
smile.gif

Here we are on page eight and we only had one testimonial that it helped. Any others out there?

I did a rebuild on a Honda CVCC engine that was burning oil. The ring lands were totally jammed with carbon. (Wasn't my car).I had to use a broken ring to break off the carbon in chunks. I'm a bit skeptical.
smile.gif

I'd like to see a uoa on this oil. I'm considering running an oci with this oil in my Duramax.

This may be a dumb question but would this oil result in increased wear with such a high amount of detergents?

Originally Posted by oakaro68
I'd like to see a uoa on this oil. I'm considering running an oci with this oil in my Duramax.

This may be a dumb question but would this oil result in increased wear with such a high amount of detergents?

The detergents are fairly low.

I have two jugs of 10-30 Restore and wish to apply a treatment(s) to the pride of South Korea Theta II GDI 2.0T engine clocking 111K miles. It uses half a qt of 0-40 by 2500-3K miles. I'm considering three options:

1a. Fill her up with 10-30 Restore topping off as needed until 5K or 1b. until I run out of Restore which might be up to 10K miles.

2. Blend one jug Restore with half a Qt V 10-30 "advanced" synthetic, leaving me 0.36Qt low, adding a qrt-Qt of Advanced as it uses a qrt-Qt for 5K leaving me with spare jug of Restore for future use.

3. Blend 2Qt Restore with 2.5-3Qt V10-30 "advanced" synthetic topping off with advanced until 5K, OC and repeat still leaving me one jug for later use.

I've blended four different types of the same brand oil for tens of thousands of miles, so I've no qualms as such with blending though none of those involved Restore. I'm not sure if half or thereabouts Restore blended would equal half the cleaning of straight Restore.

The small oil filter will surely need to changed out at least by 2.5K, within planned 5K OC, if not sooner

There was some very good discussion about the Restore within this thread, so I thought I'd camp here a bit and perhaps learn a mite from the Scholars of Earl. Grace me with your years of accumulated oil wisdom ye auld ancients of lubrication.

I have two jugs of 10-30 Restore and wish to apply a treatment(s) to the pride of South Korea Theta II GDI 2.0T engine clocking 111K miles. It uses half a qt of 0-40 by 2500-3K miles. I'm considering three options:

1a. Fill her up with 10-30 Restore topping off as needed until 5K or 1b. until I run out of Restore which might be up to 10K miles.

2. Blend one jug Restore with half a Qt V 10-30 "advanced" synthetic, leaving me 0.36Qt low, adding a qrt-Qt of Advanced as it uses a qrt-Qt for 5K leaving me with spare jug of Restore for future use.

3. Blend 2Qt Restore with 2.5-3Qt V10-30 "advanced" synthetic topping off with advanced until 5K, OC and repeat still leaving me one jug for later use.

I've blended four different types of the same brand oil for tens of thousands of miles, so I've no qualms as such with blending though none of those involved Restore. I'm not sure if half or thereabouts Restore blended would equal half the cleaning of straight Restore.

The small oil filter will surely need to changed out at least by 2.5K, within planned 5K OC, if not sooner

There was some very good discussion about the Restore within this thread, so I thought I'd camp here a bit and perhaps learn a mite from the Scholars of Earl. Grace me with your years of accumulated oil wisdom ye auld ancients of lubrication.
Fill her up with VPBR 10w-30 and top off with same oil, don't mix with anything else. Once you run out at 10k-ish, change the oil with 0W40 of your choice. I would also change the oil filter halfway through the OCI.

"Fill her up with VPBR 10w-30 and top off with same oil, don't mix with anything else. Once you run out at 10k-ish, change the oil ..."

Sound advice. Jugs are a gallon and my fill is 4.86-5qts, so I end up with around 3Qt of the second jug. Either blend on another fill or top off until done.

But, I will go back to my more robust moly and ZDDP blend when done.

Back