Valvoline Premium Blue Restore

Originally Posted by Impatient
Originally Posted by Lignums
I am currently using this oil in my 2006 Gmc Envoy 5.3. It has 190,000 miles on it and has been eating some oil between OCIs. I talked to a GM mechanic about the prospect of doing ring job on this motor, because the vehicle is in really great condition body and drivetrain wise, except for the oil consumption. After talking to the mechanic, and JAG here, I decided to give this oil a whirl before dropping some major coin on rings, and see if this stuff will remove enough carbon so as not have to do the rings.

So far I have 300 miles on this experiment, from long highway miles, to short trips to the grocery store with the wife. Fram Ultra filter also. I was going to do a filter cut and post at 500 miles just to see how well this oil works on aged carbon buildup.

keep us posted. please.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...line-blue-restore-1000-miles#Post4990947

Originally Posted by huntsonora
Looks like it's doing something for sure! Are you thinking about a UOA at the end?

I had not thought of doing one until now. When this experiment is over I will have one done.

Thank you Huntsonora

Originally Posted by Lignums
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Looks like it's doing something for sure! Are you thinking about a UOA at the end?

I had not thought of doing one until now. When this experiment is over I will have one done.

Thank you Huntsonora

Since you're the guinea pig I'll pay for it. You have paypal?

Originally Posted by SubieSTI
Hi all. This is my first post. I've been working with Terry Dyson for past five UOAs. We've analyzed Motul 8100, 6100, RLI and now I'm currently running Blue Restore in my 2017 Subaru STI with a Wix XP filter. I'm very anxious to see how my car reacts to this exotic oil. My car is tuned to run on flex fuel and makes 424 hp at the wheel on a Mustang dyno. My initial observations are slightly quieter idle and slightly smoother operation.

What I want to know is why in the world you feel you need this amount of cleaning in a 20k mile 2017 MY Subaru? There is no way that car is suffering from any ring coking or carbon deposits yet and if so you had better get it back to Subaru...

For the sake of science. Besides cleaning VPBR is more synthetic than anything out there. Although my combustion dynamics is superb and antiwear, oxidation and nitration are all good Terry and I are curious how my EJ25 reacts to VPBR. It will be so clean Terry is willing to eat off of it
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieSTI
For the sake of science. Besides cleaning VPBR is more synthetic than anything out there. Although my combustion dynamics is superb and antiwear, oxidation and nitration are all good Terry and I are curious how my EJ25 reacts to VPBR. It will be so clean Terry is willing to eat off of it
smile.gif

Any updates?

FYI for any 6BT/6.7 owners, Fleetgard appears to be almost set to release a Nanonet oil filter for those applications.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Methinks I'll try some of this in a gas engine oil drinker I have in mind. I'll only have to buy the gallon.

Think about it. This is a factory developed problem solver for a specific issue. This is NOT snake oil. If Cummins and Valvoline hadn't tested this to work at cleaning ring packs, this oil wouldn't exist.

I work for Valvoline in the Heavy Duty marketplace-- it is for real and it works. This is the last resort in lieu of an inframe overhaul.

Originally Posted by LeeinDallas
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Methinks I'll try some of this in a gas engine oil drinker I have in mind. I'll only have to buy the gallon.

Think about it. This is a factory developed problem solver for a specific issue. This is NOT snake oil. If Cummins and Valvoline hadn't tested this to work at cleaning ring packs, this oil wouldn't exist.

I work for Valvoline in the Heavy Duty marketplace-- it is for real and it works. This is the last resort in lieu of an inframe overhaul.

I'd give it a shot in an oil burner if I thought sticking ring packs were the cause. The Cummins endorsement of the product is big.

This stuff might be great to use as a summer-fill (its thick!) every 5 years to clear out the carbon build-up on the pistons, for any gasoline or diesel vehicles.

It's now sold through Valvoline direct and via Valvoline channel partners (distributors) nationwide.

Valvoline's website doesn't even list 'Restore'. .... Any internet link for the direct sales? Ryder Fleet has been the easy mail-order location: https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/lp/valvoline-premium-blue-restore

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
This stuff might be great to use as a summer-fill (its thick!) every 5 years to clear out the carbon build-up on the pistons, for any gasoline or diesel vehicles.

It's now sold through Valvoline direct and via Valvoline channel partners (distributors) nationwide.

Valvoline's website doesn't even list 'Restore'. .... Any internet link for the direct sales? Ryder Fleet has been the easy mail-order location: https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/lp/valvoline-premium-blue-restore

You would have to contact a rep in your area

Ask your Cummins Rep for VVL 877377, I order up 12 gallons at a time, and they're available for pickup the next day usually.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

I had a sample tested by Dyson comparing it to RLI 5w40 low ash. Restore is doing what it's supposed to and cleaned my piston rings. Both samples tested at 1500-1600 miles

Improvements
Acid number 1.84 >> 1.52
Oxidation protection 114 >> 129
Nitration 10 >> 8
Antiwear 30 >> 39
Fuel dilution 2.3% >> 1.4%

Last edited:
I ran one of the first ford/international Diesel engines on kerosene for a week when I was flat broke in high school. I'll be dammed if I'd pay $300 for a diesel oil change.

Valvoline Premium Blue Restore has about 50% POE and a good dose of AN, the rest being PAO and the standard Valvoline Premium Blue CK-4 HDEO additive package.

It has excellent ability to clean piston-ring carbon deposits as well as other engine and turbocharger deposits and engine sludge. One OCI with it should be good for cleaning.

For heavy-duty applications, pair it with the recommended Fleetguard LF 14000 NN oil filter. For passenger-car applications, pair it with an oversized Fram Ultra oil filter.

Back