Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30 in a Honda 2.4L

I figure as much triple7, but the bulldog in me wants one more round. I have about 50 yrs under me belt fixing junk, as that's all I could afford, and never had a battery blow up. I've welded a wrench betwixt positive & negative on different batteries, in what I recall was an electric lawn mower, at least 45yrs ago. Last yr the battery on the rider was down & I needed to mow. I threw the charger on and waited only 30 min as I was in a hurry.

Why disconnect the charger as I knew being the first start of the season it would take some cranking. And I was planning to finish charging the battery riding around the yard cutting grass. This was almost a spring ritual. I turned the key to start B-O-O-M ! she blew the caps off and cracked the case. How did that old tune go? First time for evah-thang m-m-m my ears still ring chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug.

Which just shows to go me that Forest was right, life is like a box of chocolates and you never know what you're gonna get.

Ryder did shut down and that was the only online vendor that I found.

In the olden days I might have considered the little skinny jug of syrup that had STP on the cover for oil management.

Originally Posted by Sayonara_Sonata
Wow, thought with all the interest in this thread that there would be more replies.

Change the oil filter, top it off and let 'er ride.

For 1645mi.

What might you lose, 0.6qt 10W-30?

Can you actually stay away from the dipstick for 1645mi.?

The suspense is killing me thinking about your tortured soul for 1645mi wondering what the dipstick is reading without checking until 1645mi. have elapsed.

I'm feeling less than a half perhaps merely 0.4qt.

Don't peek!

You'll only spoil the surprise.

The Accord just crossed 5100 miles (on the oil) and the Maintenance Minder is at 15%.

In full disclosure, nthach is also running this oil in his '09 Prius. I think he has 1800 miles on his fill and has already added 1/2 qt.

Between the two of us, we have 1.5 qt left for top-off. Both cars are still drinking oil. Originally, I think both us wanted to run this oil for 10K but it appears that we do not have enough oil left to make it there.

Another gal of VPBR is ~$90 but it looks like we will need to buy another gallon.

Maybe use up the rest and then top up with something else and go the full 10k. Gives it the most amount of time to work. Even slightly diluted it should still do some work.

Last edited:
I have an `07 Accord with the K24A8. It uses oil just as you have described with yours.I have run Amsoil SS since its first oil change at ~3000 miles. My runs are usually around 5000 miles. I change the oil every other year. Mine had 33,000 on it and seems to have been using 1/2 qt per 2500 miles always.

After the factory fill...
used 0w-20 Amsoil SS for the beginning years,
for the past ~9 years have been running 5w-20 Amsoil SS.

The car has been well taken care of/babied. I don't think it is stuck rings, maybe low tension rings, seems to be part of the design of these engines. Keep them topped off, doesn't seem to effect longevity.

Current Odometer: 145,656.

Oil additions:
7/4/20 - 145,656 (6,326 mi on oil) - .75 qt
1/28/20 - 143,017 (3,687 on oil) - .5 qt
11/21/19 - 140,975 (1,645 mi on oil) - .6 qt

Total oil added to date: 1.85 qt
Total miles on oil: 6,326 miles
Total time on oil: 9 months

Looks like it cut it's use down by about a third. That's noticable results, but you still have a bit to reach that 10k mile mark. Not sure where to get it these days since Ryder fleet closed.

My daughter's 95 Geo Prizm (Corolla) has 240,000 miles on it. The consumption increased dramatically at about 200,000 miles Now consumes oil to the tune of about 1200miles/qt. Runs perfect. No smoke out the tail pipe. We've owned the car for 13 years. It had 84k when purchased. 6-8000 mile OCIs. Consistent routine maintenance and repairs. Mild south Florida climate. I suspect it would still consume oil if the OCIs had been halved over the years. But really, who cares? I was gonna give Valvoline Premium Blue RESTORE a try. But can't find it.
Double the cost of oil changes over 13 years of ownership? Nope-not for me. Add 5 quarts of Pennzoil HM (or whatever is on sale) for roughly $18 tax included over the course of the OCIs? Yep! I still check it whenever my daughter is here. Rarely is it below halfway between the Full and Add marks on the dipstick. The car owes us nothing If it gets to 500miles/quart then it's time to go car shopping again. I suspect that'll occur at around the 300,000 mile mark about 5 years from now. That'll be a car that was driven daily for 30 years. That's a great car and I think that's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Has the PCV valve ever been replaced? If it's stuck open, it will suck oil (consume oil). 1200 miles per quart isn't too bad and you have the right attitude.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Looks like it cut it's use down by about a third. That's noticable results, but you still have a bit to reach that 10k mile mark. Not sure where to get it these days since Ryder fleet closed.

They discounted them to get rid of everything and I bought 4 gallons

Really wish my wifes 2000 Accord hadn't gotten flattened by that box truck. I was getting ready to try this. Hers was using about a quart every 1500 miles, granted, it had 320k on it, so it could well have just been tired, but it ran great and didn't smoke...even after she ran it dry on oil a couple of months before we lost it.

Total oil added to date: 1.85 qt
Total miles on oil: 6,326 miles
Total time on oil: 9 months

I'd keep adding Restore until you run out. Then OC to your fav.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
didn't smoke...even after she ran it dry on oil a couple of months

Then she filmed you, with pulled valve cover, waving a garden hose over the mill as holy water whilst idling and humming as a Singer sewing machine.

Last edited:
Any Cummins diesel service center keeps this oil in stock.

Has the PCV valve ever been replaced? If it's stuck open, it will suck oil (consume oil). 1200 miles per quart isn't too bad and you have the right attitude.
Yes, I replaced it at some point towards the beginning of this test.

In full disclosure, nthach is also running this oil in his '09 Prius. I think he has 1800 miles on his fill and has already added 1/2 qt.
Also in the interest of disclosure, I topped off at the 1200 and 2800 mile marks. I'm at 3300 miles since last top off, my oil level is 3/4 full.

The oil is turning darker than I've ever seen it for this car despite using an FU. My car stayed in the family and I maintained it since day 1, with the first OCI being QSGB and a Toyota filter. All the subsequent oil changes were mostly M1 or PP 5W-30. There's now 174K on the car.

My daughter's 95 Geo Prizm (Corolla) has 240,000 miles on it. The consumption increased dramatically at about 200,000 miles Now consumes oil to the tune of about 1200miles/qt. Runs perfect. No smoke out the tail pipe. We've owned the car for 13 years. It had 84k when purchased. 6-8000 mile OCIs. Consistent routine maintenance and repairs. Mild south Florida climate. I suspect it would still consume oil if the OCIs had been halved over the years. But really, who cares? I was gonna give Valvoline Premium Blue RESTORE a try. But can't find it.
Double the cost of oil changes over 13 years of ownership? Nope-not for me. Add 5 quarts of Pennzoil HM (or whatever is on sale) for roughly $18 tax included over the course of the OCIs? Yep! I still check it whenever my daughter is here. Rarely is it below halfway between the Full and Add marks on the dipstick. The car owes us nothing If it gets to 500miles/quart then it's time to go car shopping again. I suspect that'll occur at around the 300,000 mile mark about 5 years from now. That'll be a car that was driven daily for 30 years. That's a great car and I think that's pretty cool.

Overfilling it by half a quart maybe a good idea. I’d go with Valvoline Maxlife Red bottle 5w30. Nice post and write up.

The Critic has been kind enough to allow my Restore journey to be posted on his thread. I have been blending three to four different weight M1 oils for quite a while. My consumption was roughly a quarter quart or so every 2500-3K miles and total of one half or so by 5K. My OC was 5K though since my blending of M1 it varies from 3-4K. I've just changed oil at 112K and will use this OC as a baseline for oil consumption. I'll run 3500-4K miles w/o topping off if possible to determine how much oil I'm using from original OC.

I have two jugs of Restore. My plan is to use 3.25 quarts of Restore and 1.25 quart of VPB ES 8600 syn-blend 10-30. This leaves me a third of a quart shy of full. As a rule I show no oil usage in the first 1.5K- 2K miles and this allows me as concentrated an amount of Restore as I feel possible under MY guidelines leaving me with 4.75 quarts of Restore for use somewhere down the road . Somewhere around 4.25 quarts on the stick I'll add VPB RS 8600 syn-blend to bring the level back to 4.5-4.75 quarts.

Originally I purchased a 5 quart jug of 10-30 Valvoline Advanced for this purpose. However, Restore is intended for diesel and has the same add-pack as VPB ES 8600 as I understand. Would seem perhaps to be a better fit though I have no qualms in using the Advanced synthetic.

Over the years in various vehicles I've run 5-40 diesel oil for the higher ZDDP and less oil consumption in comparison to lighter weight oils . So, it doesn't faze me in the least to run a diesel oil for tens of thousands of miles in a gasoline engine as long as I OC by 5K miles. By at least 3K the viscosity has broken down enough to notice and during the last 1500K the auto runs its best before the next OC.

It will take me a couple of months to reach enough miles for my Restore OC experiment. Perhaps as The Critic finishes up, going back to his preferred oil and weight, I'll be ready for my Restore run.

No it isn't that much consumption. Especially the way I keep me foot in 'er. However that is a rough estimate well on the conservative side. Three quarters of a Qt to a Qt would be more in line. I do not clock 5K showing 1/2 down on the stick. Somewhere around 3-3.5K I usually top off. This time I'll run it to 5K or until I need 0.75Qt according to the stick.

Before Hyundai decided to swap dipsticks, ISO band-aid for failing engines, 4.86Qt was full. Now it's 5Qt. Showing 0.75Qt low is really 0.61. Still 3/4Qt usage though only a tad over a half Qt low by original design.

113K Mi & change, 1016 Mi on current OC. Coolant 75*, IAT 68*, Ambient 62* oil resting on full dot. This is the OC before Restore.

Still resting on the Full dot.

Current Odometer: 147,481

Oil additions:

10/16/20 – 147,481 (8,151 miles on oil) - .5 qt
7/4/20 - 145,656 (6,326 mi on oil) - .75 qt
1/28/20 - 143,017 (3,687 on oil) - .5 qt
11/21/19 - 140,975 (1,645 mi on oil) - .6 qt

Total oil added to date: 2.35 qt

Total miles on oil: 8,151 miles

Total time on oil: 12 months

I also removed the valve cover to perform a valve adjustment. The last one was performed at around 102K. Here is the thread from when I performed the last valve adjustment: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2007-accord-2-4l-valvetrain-pictures.241490/

Some of the varnish appears a bit lighter but the difference is insignificant.

Attachments

• ADF67479-7198-405E-B0D1-94A72BA1B95C.jpeg
    ADF67479-7198-405E-B0D1-94A72BA1B95C.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 3861BB61-B24A-4C29-8D8B-FFCBE874D1EB.jpeg
    3861BB61-B24A-4C29-8D8B-FFCBE874D1EB.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Back