Oil additions:

10/16/20 – 147,481 (8,151 miles on oil) - .5 qt
7/4/20 - 145,656 (6,326 mi on oil) - .75 qt
1/28/20 - 143,017 (3,687 on oil) - .5 qt
11/21/19 - 140,975 (1,645 mi on oil) - .6 qt

Total oil added to date: 2.35 qt

Total miles on oil: 8,151 miles

Total time on oil: 12 months

I also removed the valve cover to perform a valve adjustment. The last one was performed at around 102K. Here is the thread from when I performed the last valve adjustment: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2007-accord-2-4l-valvetrain-pictures.241490/

Some of the varnish appears a bit lighter but the difference is insignificant.
Michael, how many valves were outta adjustment? Please split out I/O if possible. Thanks!

113K Mi & change, 1016 Mi on current OC. Coolant 75*, IAT 68*, Ambient 62* oil resting on full dot. This is the OC before Restore.

Still resting on the Full dot.
114K Mi & change, 2020 Mi on current OC. Coolant 77*, IAT 75*, Ambient 65* Note a small space, about the length of the dot, betwixt dot and oil. Par for the course at this mileage. Usually I see more usage beginning at 2500-3K. This is the OC before Restore.

I've never checked valve lash. Shimless buckets require measuring the lash, pulling the cams, pulling the buckets, reading the measurement inside of each bucket then determining what size new bucket fits your profile, ordering them, under three bills, reassembly and waiting for them to come in to do it again.

The price one pays for a lightweight quick revving valve train. Dems da breaks.

3880mi into OC finds me half a qt shy on the stick. I went ahead and topped off out of a jug of 5w20 that was lying around gathering dust. I'll stretch this OC to 5K. I've decided to hold off on the VPBR OC until spring/summer.

This test is done. I changed the oil several days ago after 9,500 miles on Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. No UOA, but I will be sending the filter to @53_Stude for analysis.

The car was refilled with ST synthetic 5w-20.

Last 1400 miles on the oil resulted in the level dropping 1/4 of the way, so yes, but not significantly.
If "1/4 of the way" means 1/4 quart on the dipstick, then I'd say that's pretty low oil consumption (around 5,600 miles/qt) on a 2007 vehicle with 148K+ miles. How do you know some of that isn't coming from valve guide seals or PCV ingestion into the intake manifold?

If "1/4 of the way" means 1/4 quart on the dipstick, then I'd say that's pretty low oil consumption (around 5,600 miles/qt) on a 2007 vehicle with 148K+ miles. How do you know some of that isn't coming from valve guide seals or PCV ingestion into the intake manifold?
I’ve observed on my ‘03 K24 that the dipstick level between the low and full marks is not linear. I’m guessing that the dipstick is measuring something akin to the level of a funnel. For example, when I add a 1/2 qt from low, it goes higher than 1/2 way up the stick but a full quart will take you to the full mark.

You seemed to get a slight reduction, if it was me I would ran the next fill of Redline Performance oil, THEN call the test finished. I would of done it in reversed order. First the Redline to get the low hanging fruit, then the Restore to get what's left. Interesting test though. Thanks for posting it.

Did you do full throttle 5 mph to 70 mph on a regular basis to get some pressure behind the rings?

You seemed to get a slight reduction, if it was me I would ran the next fill of Redline Performance oil, THEN call the test finished. I would of done it in reversed order. First the Redline to get the low hanging fruit, then the Restore to get what's left. Interesting test though. Thanks for posting it.

Did you do full throttle 5 mph to 70 mph on a regular basis to get some pressure behind the rings?

I 2nd this..... my is350 3.5L toyota which has low tension rings got gunked up at only 103k miles and it burnt over 1 quart in 5k miles of just driving it very conservatively. I did this for 2 oci of 5k and the same thing so... I started to drive it like stated above more aggressively WOT to 60 or 50 sometimes 80 on a clear highway stretch from 50, I did that here and there and shortly after 10 - 15k miles of doing that I now burn basically zero oil. I have 5k oci since I have owned the car with it now being 35k miles with me.

Back