Valvoline NextGen Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the support of this web site.

Can you explain the overall total energy saved if any in making NextGen vs conventional oil?

Is the additive pack very similar to your white bottle oil, or does the recycled base oil need to be hopped up with more additives?

I support the concept of what you are doing and feel that if there are or eventually will be tangible overall energy savings on top off less new oil used, you will have a winner... as long as it is priced competitively with conventional motor oil products.

Thanks again and best of luck with NextGen and all your fine products.

"NextGen, a revolutionary oil that’s 50% recycled oil and 100% Valvoline protection." NextGen Conventional MaxLife NextGen

Valvoline NextGen Conventional and MaxLife claims containing 50% recycled oil. Is 50% a maximal, minimal, or average amount of recycled oil in NextGen?

Last edited:
besides being recycled, are there any other benefits to using Nextgen Maxlife compared to the normal old formula Maxlife? I use Maxlife exclusively in the Xterra, and have had trouble pulling the trigger on the Nextgen, just because I have seen no problems using the regular Maxlife.

Last edited:
I expect it has been difficult overcoming the stigma of a recycled oil. Have the sales of NextGen met the expectations of the company?

Will we be seeing other grades being released in the near future and if so what can we expect next?

What has Valvoline's marketing department had to overcome to convince the consumer that it's not just "used oil"? I've seen a lot of advertising that promotes it as a "green" alternative to traditional motor oil, but not much to indicate whether it is superior to conventional motor oil.

Do you anticipate that there could be a possible 100% recycled version in the near future?

Many of us have been using it and really like the product. And we hope that you see continued success with it.

Hi, and thanks for the QA. My questions:

1. Currently, there isn't a 0w-20 grade. When will that come on the market?

2. There has been discussion here on the forum that Walmart is closing out their stock of Nextgen. Is that true?

3. I'll second the requests of others for a synthetic version of nextgen.

Thanks,
Bryan Walton

When can I expect a version suitable for use in my diesel engine? I do have a gasoline powered vehicle as well to try the product in via the mail in rebate
smile.gif

I do not have a question but just a general comment, i think it is a great idea that Vavoline has taken leadership and come out with a product like this. I have used Vavoline for years and have about 10 quarts of nextgen ready for my next oil changes. thank you!

Thank you again Valvoline for being a sponsor here at bitog. My question is this; Is the Next Gen selling well enough to keep it in production? I have no doubt it is a very fine product. As I`m sure you would not put your name on the bottle if it was not.

Thank`s
Ryan

1)Is NextGen being used by any government agencies, similar to Safetyklean?
2)Do you plan to make a synthetic version of NexGen? Will it meet Honda's HTO-06 specification? I realize that some oils would pass the HTO-06 test, but manufacturers choose not to certify their oils.

Thank you for supporting this site.

Last edited:
Valvoline: thank you for supporting this website and offering this Q&A session. And certainly, thank you for incentivising participation in this Q&A with a mail-in rebate for five quarts of your NextGen product.

My question: many of us have vehicles with some miles on them, and those who are interested in using a re-refined oil may also more likely to be the type of person who would either keep an older vehicle on the road or choose to buy a used vehicle vs. a new one. A lot of oils on the market today specifically advertise how well they clean an engine from deposits and/or sludge. Valvoline, at least until now, has not really advertised how well their oil "cleans" an engine that may have some existing baggage from prior owners or questionable oil change intervals. How well does the NextGen oil clean existing deposits or varnish out of older engines, and is the cleaning capability the same between NextGen and NextGen MaxLife?

An additional comment: I didn't mention this as it was already brought up by another member, but I am also interested to know if a 0W-20 grade will be introduced in the NextGen series.

1. I have no doubt that NextGen oils are worthy of their API certifications, but wonder why their cost is the same as the PCMO and MaxLife oils. If NextGen takes less energy to produce, why not pass the savings on to consumers?

Unfortunately, I don't have any vehicles that I consider to be appropriate for current NextGen products. I would consider running a NextGen version of VR1 10W-30 in my '72 GMC, but it would have to cost less than VR1.

2. Also, does Valvoline receive any government subsidies or other incentives to manufacture NextGen?

I just purchased 5 quarts of NextGen 5w-20 at Advance Auto but picked it up off a clearance table as the folks there said it is being discontinued. I also saw NextGen on a clearance shelf at my local WalMart. Why are these two retailers discontinuing the NextGen oil?

@Valvoline:

Are there any plans to release fully synthetic oils to the 'NextGen' lineup, such as SynPower NextGen or Max Life Synthetic NextGen? Is it even possible to create a 'full syn' through re-refining at this time?

"Unlike the past, today’s oil recycling uses the same refining processes used for crude oil refining. These newer techniques yield high quality base oil that can match crude oil refining." Valvoline Motor Oil Myths

Does Valvoline operate these oil refineries? So Valvoline has control over the characteristics of the base oil such as volatility, VI, solubility for additives, etc.

The auto parts stores will mix ATF as well as other non motor oils into their oil drum for recycling. ATF doesn't contain much if any paraffinic base oil used to make motor oil. Does Valvoline selectively choose where the spent oil comes from? So the refineries can produce high yield quality base oils.

Is Valvoline getting into the base oil business through recycling oil?

Last edited:
I am "green" as they say it and have used and have Nexgen in my oil stock. I am just curious as to what percentage of your oil sales are due to Nexgen. So far I am pleased with it and will continue to use it. I hope it helps other companies move in the green recycled oil direction. Hats off to Valvoline. Thank you for your support.
01.gif

I noticed that NextGen jugs state that it lowers emissions. Does that refer to emissions produced by the vehicle it is used in, or a reduction in the refining process?

To conserve resources, many products (oil, plastic, etc) are either being marketed as recycled or bio-based. Could a NextGen bio based oil ever offered, or perhaps a bio/recycled blend?

Thanks for being a site sponsor, and thanks for marketing an interesting motor oil in Nextgen.
Also, among the giants like XOM, Royal Dutch Shell (SOPUS) and BP (Castrol), Ashland seems like an underdog, and we all want to support the underdog, as I have with Valvoline oils in two of our cars.
I intend to UOA both after their third runs on the Valvoline oils I'm using in them.
I do have a couple of questions.
Has at least some reclaimed basestock been used before in other oils by any blender without attribution?
Does Ashland produce its own basestock, or is it purchased from third parties?

I recently joined BITOG because i'm very interested in knowing more about oil filters; how they're constructed and how they perform. So i wonder if a nextgen type oil filter (made with recycled material) would complement your partially recycled oil product?
Have you thought about this? I would certainly purchase such a filter provided it was quality constructed like those filters in the 7-12$ range. Thanks much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back