Valvoline - Myth vs Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline has a Motor Oil Myths page on their website:
http://www.valvoline.com/car-care/motor-oil-myths/

I was surprised by their answer to the differences between Dino and Synthetic basestocks:

MYTH: There is not any real difference between conventional and synthetic motor oil.

REALITY: There are not any real differences in the basestocks used to make synthetic and conventional oils, but there are differences in the additives and process used to make the final products.

Yes, Group IV and V are TOTALLY like Group II.
LOL.gif

Pretty much confirming Valvoline Synthetic must be a hydrocracked oil. Mentions three times their synthetic comes from crude.

So, what Top Brand N.A. oils ARE 100% grp iv/v base these days other than some specialty Mobil products? None AFA I can tell. Well at least they're up front unlike some Co's ...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
So, what Top Brand N.A. oils ARE 100% grp iv/v base these days other than some specialty Mobil products? None AFA I can tell. Well at least they're up front unlike some Co's ...

Any of AMSOIL's non-XL oils are PAO-based. Redline is PAO/Ester.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Agreed, but not at your local Auto parts store or Walmart shelf. I know M1 4T bike oil is, but not for cheap.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Agreed, but not at your local Auto parts store or Walmart shelf. I know M1 4T bike oil is, but not for cheap.

Canadian Tire stocks AMSOIL and Redline up here actually! And its more common than Walmart!

I'm a great proponent, much I must attribute to Doug Hillary, of The 5w40 TDT/D1 oils as well as the 0w40. I've used all with good results.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I've never liked Valvoline anyhow. Low end stuff, if you ask me.

LR - My Toyota tells me this too. Yucch. Where's Tall Paul? Off in Europe with Callissa from NORIA? He's in for the "Crying Game" if so ...;)

I can't find anything in the Mobil link above that would exclude a good GIII base. It essentially says that Mobil uses "non-conventional processes" and that their base stocks "contain far fewer impurities" as compared to the conventionally refined oil. Also notice that their base stocks are referenced in the plural state.

LR - My Toyota tells me this too. Yucch. Where's Tall Paul? Off in Europe with Callissa from NORIA? He's in for the "Crying Game" if so ...;)
I don't know if it's low end stuff, but it always has worked quite well for me. I especially like the straight 30 Premium Conventional Valvoline I am running in two vehicles this summer. Maybe it is low end stuff. I am not qualified (nor have supporting data) to make that judgement, but it works for me and....

I really like the bottle design, color and labels!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

I don't know if it's low end stuff, but it always has worked quite well for me. I especially like the straight 30 Premium Conventional Valvoline I am running in two vehicles this summer. Maybe it is low end stuff. I am not qualified (nor have supporting data) to make that judgement, but it works for me and....

I really like the bottle design, color and labels!
banana2.gif

Valvoline is the shyght!
11.gif
Makes your motor run smooth as melted budda! As least it does mine
beer3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back