Valvoline "Modern Engine Synthetic"

I like Valvoline and I like their instant oil change centers. As far as this oil goes, it looks like it's just marketing. The recent PQIA results showed a similar mg/Ca combination Mobil/Castrol were using since 2012. Better late than never I guess. I'd have no issues using it though.

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Because i support Valvoline for 2 main reasons 1)they invented oil, and have never once maid a poor product, 2) they are a smaller company than some and i hate huge corporations like xom. Also, if Ford and GM both rate all of Valvolines products for 10k mile oil change clocks, than all the "valvoline isnt good for long drains" people are full of [censored]. If its good enough for their warranties it can't be bad.

So you like Valvoline because you perceive it as not a huge co? If that's the case then you should be ga ga over Amsoil. By the way, both are fine products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
its now on walmart online, 10.49 per qrt

They had it at my WM today for $39 and change. This is going to sell to me not just like M1 AP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
its now on walmart online, 10.49 per qrt

They had it at my WM today for $39 and change. This is going to sell to me not just like M1 AP.

Yeah, at $39 I don't see it flying off the Wal Mart shelves. QSUD all grades is stil $19.87 at my 2 Wal Marts. Sounds like a better deal
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
If this is for new cars and Max Life is for old cars, what is SynPower for?

Middle aged cars
laugh.gif

And/or midlife crisis cars.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Because i support Valvoline for 2 main reasons 1)they invented oil, and have never once maid a poor product, 2) they are a smaller company than some and i hate huge corporations like xom. Also, if Ford and GM both rate all of Valvolines products for 10k mile oil change clocks, than all the "valvoline isnt good for long drains" people are full of [censored]. If its good enough for their warranties it can't be bad.

Well then we are counting on you to buy this oil, run it 10k and then post your UOA …
That’s what real support looks like …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Middle aged cars
laugh.gif

wink.gif

Synpower is no more.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Middle aged cars
laugh.gif

wink.gif

Synpower is no more.

You can still pick up Syn Power on Amazon Prime for Walmart prices, in the oid style marketing jugs.

I think what's happening, it's still the same oil under new marketing demanding higher prices for the pretty bottles.

Ran across this article, not much info but thought it was worth the post.

edit:

so sorry for the link issue. The main point of the article was was an interview with Vallvoline chief technology officer about carbon build up on GDI engines and timing chains which this new 'Modern' oil is suppose to address. It also stated Valvoline estimates 25% of oil changes in the USA are by DIY. The CTO said nothing about engines newer than 2012
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smithph
Ran across this article, not much info but thought it was worth the post.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AXKA-zwr8R8J:https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2018/01/25/go-inside-the-labs-of-one-of-kentuckys-newest.html+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1

That brings me to a page that wants to charge me $93 to read the article. I think I will pass.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
I do wonder however, what different chemistry is involved in this oil.

The chemistry of getting into your wallet!

I wish there was something more to it than that. I'm not seeing a clear basis or benefit unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I wish there was something more to it than that. I'm not seeing a clear basis or benefit unfortunately.

Trust me if there was really something real beneficial about that oil really putting it head and shoulders about the rest you'd be reading about it in every automotive magazine on the market. No one is going to pass that up if it isn't just pure Bovine scat! Too much money to be made and market share to be captured.

Last edited:

Middle aged cars
laugh.gif

wink.gif

Synpower is no more.

The Valvoline website says that the Advanced Full Synthetic line was formerly marketed as Synpower...the 5W30 synth I bought maybe a month ago actually showed up as Synpower on my WM receipt. AFS should be the same as Synpower, at least the d1G2 formulations of the latter...

It’s a rebranding but also the new add pack.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the d1G2 changes here, but there were jugs of d1G2 Synpower out before the name change to AFS.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
It’s a rebranding but also the new add pack.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the d1G2 changes here, but there were jugs of d1G2 Synpower out before the name change to AFS.

Yes. Valvoline didn’t make the transition cleanly so their were old and new bottles with the new formula. I imagine it will take a while for all the stock to get normalized.

Back