Valvoline "Modern Engine Synthetic"

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Pretty sure they are just dropping the "SynPower" moniker for the regular synthetic. Maybe just a packaging/name facelift. But this new oil has more than a facelift. On another note, this is yet another reason a GM product will never be in my driveway. They have created a world where people think they must buy products that are nearly co-branded to keep their engines from going belly up. This Dexos thing is out of hand in my opinion. If it's that big of a deal then The General should be changing their loyal customers' oil gratis.

Are they any worse than VW, Mercedez, Audi? GM is doing the same thing the Euro makers have been doing.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Are they any worse than VW, Mercedez, Audi? GM is doing the same thing the Euro makers have been doing.

Don't own any of those either.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I can't believe that "oil designed for GDI cars" will in any way thwart these kind of issues.

It might help with LSPI.... but I SERIOUSLY doubt it helps with any other issues.

If it’s a very low Noack oil it could help to prevent intake valve deposits/carbonization.

I'm thinking Dexos was a direct response to the problems GM was having with the 5.3 liter AFM engines where they needed a rather low viscosity, low deposit synthetic oil to keep the special hydraulic lifters from failing. The AFM system is the one that cancels out some cylinders when under low horsepower cruising conditions.

But I see what the marketing department is concentrating on. There has been a definitive shift to lower viscosity oils over the years across most of the manufacturers, (except perhaps some of the European ones). Some car owners were puzzled with that, seeing that their dad used to buy 10-30 and 10-40 weight oil. Valvoline is trying to make a jump ahead of the other oil makers and attract some buyers who think Valvoline is the first to make an oil for "Modern" engines.

SF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I can't believe that "oil designed for GDI cars" will in any way thwart these kind of issues.

It might help with LSPI.... but I SERIOUSLY doubt it helps with any other issues.

If it’s a very low Noack oil it could help to prevent intake valve deposits/carbonization.
There is so much blow by gasses oil vapor in the crankcase the noack number is pretty much concerns thickening and going out of grade.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
...Valvoline is trying to make a jump ahead of the other oil makers and attract some buyers who think Valvoline is the first to make an oil for "Modern" engines.

SF

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Thanks for sharing, OP.

Along with dexos1 Gen2 benefits, Valvoline is touting that this oil offers 30% better deposit protection over industry standards.
Like member MParr advised, I'll pass as well. Snazzy bottle and colors though.
smile.gif

https://team.valvoline.com/promo/modern-engine

The bottle is Valvoline’s new easy pour and handle bottle. I like the color as well but have to see it in person. As for the oil, it can’t be any different than the current d1g2 product they have.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: wemay
Thanks for sharing, OP.

Along with dexos1 Gen2 benefits, Valvoline is touting that this oil offers 30% better deposit protection over industry standards.
Like member MParr advised, I'll pass as well. Snazzy bottle and colors though.
smile.gif

https://team.valvoline.com/promo/modern-engine

The bottle is Valvoline’s new easy pour and handle bottle. I like the color as well but have to see it in person. As for the oil, it can’t be any different than the current d1g2 product they have.

Lipstick on a pig?

When Valv brags it is "30% better than industry standards" for carbon on pistons and intake valves, they appear to simply be talking about SN tests.
I'd expect any full-syn oil brand on the shelf to beat it by at least 30%. Its not much of a boast.
Marketing fluff.
What are the specs it meets? Haven't seen anything, including the back of the jug itself.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
When Valv brags it is "30% better than industry standards" for carbon on pistons and intake valves, they appear to simply be talking about SN tests.
I'd expect any full-syn oil brand on the shelf to beat it by at least 30%. Its not much of a boast.
Marketing fluff.
What are the specs it meets? Haven't seen anything, including the back of the jug itself.

Well industry standards include conventional oil too!

Having said that I do buy Valvoline full synthetic when the price is right!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Hmm. Definately going to try this in the GFs EcoBoost. Its a Valvoline product so i know it will be good. Curious to know just how good though.
Why try it?
Very expensive and no proof at all it does anything different than any full-syn oil at Walmart for half the price or less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back