Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by wemay
Some folks don't want to go through the extra step of rebates.

LOL just like a bunch of them don't want to go through the extra step of DIY oil changes?

Obviously you have not wasted your time with a rebate. There is nothing like getting a rebate check in the mail with alternative French spelling of your last name and the rebate company refusing to make the correction.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

LOL just like a bunch of them don't want to go through the extra step of DIY oil changes?

Obviously you have not wasted your time with a rebate. There is nothing like getting a rebate check in the mail with alternative French spelling of your last name and the rebate company refusing to make the correction.

LOL do you really read BITOG or just flap your lips. I've posted rebates on here that I received and haven't. Suxxszoil is this only one I've had a problem with. Only 1 out of three being paid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Valvoline, fine oil, just as good as any other.

It's funny....when I joined this site many were slamming Valvoline for it's "weak additive package".
Now it seems to be highly respected.
I would use the VME if I got it on 'Clearance' but I wouldn't pay full price because I think it's just a low calcium, no sodium synthetic (probably Group III)
Valvoline doesn't tout it as an extended drain oil like Mobil1 AP....which was also quite pricey at it's introduction...

Wrong!
The new formulated Valvoline Advanced 5w30 has 'perhaps' the strongest add-pack in 5w30 flavor, built for SN PLus / Dexos1 Gen2 specs, in it's price range ($19-$26). It's only question mark - as with most-all oil makers, is the strength of the base oil.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-synthetic-dexos1-gen-2-5w30#Post4682481

Ashland never told the public what the difference was between Modern and Advanced. That's likely why the new Modern entry was a big bust with purchasers. Purchasers have already provven they will spend more for great oil like Mobil-1 EP and a few others.

Last edited:
Which came first? The introduction of VME or Valvoline splitting off of Ashland to be a stand alone company?

Also, if the oil meets the same specs and certifications as the expensive oil, then are they really better?

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Railrust
I used to see this oil at Walmart, it was pretty pricey and looked like it was a gimmicky Valvoline thing, with a nice fancy bottle and claims that it was designed for direct injection engines. At whatever price point it used to be I never considered it simply because Valvoline always uses the sodium over the moly in their mixes, but at $17 bucks? Seems like a good deal.

I think all these 0W20 Dexos approved group lll synthetics are very similar and probably not worth spending more for one over the other. I'd throw the low priced Super Tech into that catergory too. And now we have the mysterious Rotella Truck 0W20 added to the competition (but at least that has a very high moly count). And I don't no know what my infatuation is...how it got there...when it's going to leave. I thought I had gotten over it a year ago, but I'm creeping it again...

Valvoline does not use sodium as a dispersant in SN+ or D1G2 formulas and molybdenum is a friction modifier.

Didn't realize Valvoline finally went to the moly instead of the sodium, it seems like all these Dexos approved synthetics are now very similar. Wow. Just assumed Valvoline had kept their sodium formula...good to know they've jumped on board.

Where do you find these rebates? I'd love to jump onboard.

I took advantage of the rebate and bought enough Valvoline ME 5W30 to do two oil & filter changes.

It's been a good oil (quiet cold start-up, no burning between changes). I've exclusively used the OEM (Nissan-branded) filter since my Infiniti Q60S was new.

You'll see the UOA for all my oil changes below, with the last two oil changes (@ 13k & 19k miles) using ME 5W30.

From right to left, the oil brands were factory fill, Pennzoil Platinum 0W20, Castrol Edge EP 5W30, and then Valvoline ME 5W30 (2x).

17 Q60S-190317.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back