Valvoline Maxlife ATF for BMW E90 with GM GA6L45R?

Has anyone used Maxlife ATF in their BMWs with the GM transmissions? I am not due for one yet. But, I am in a year or so and I kind of want to start my research right now and be sure which fluid to use before I go ahead and change it or get it changed at my indy What brand would you guys recommend? I've used Maxlife in my Toyota. But, I am kind of hesitant towards using it in the BMW.

Off of RealOEM.com

1.png

Last edited:
I don’t see why not - GM specs Dex VI in it. MaxLife is not Dex VI approved but it should work. Red Line isn’t GM sanctioned fluid either.

Of course, “real” licensed Dex VI isn’t much more expensive than MaxLife that makes you sleep better at night.

I just did my second fluid change with MaxLife in my BMW 328i with the GM GA6L45R. I changed the original factory fluid at 40k miles with the MaxLife and the shifting improved immensely. The transmission felt much smoother and didn't seem to jerk between gears at lower speeds like it had done before. I changed the fluid, then drove around the block and changed both the fluid and filter. Now 30k miles later (I just hit 70k miles) I just did two drain and fills. I highly recommend the MaxLife in these GM transmissions, and I don't drive this car like grandma. It sees wide open throttle at least twice a day. I hammered the snot out of it several times on tail of the dragon in TN right after the initial fluid change at 40k, and when I changed it just now at 70k the fluid didn't even look dark.

I originally chose this fluid because there is a guy on the BMW forums with the same transmission in his E91 328i wagon. He tracks the car frequently, and his transmission has almost 300k miles on it. Maxlife is what he uses.

I just did my second fluid change with MaxLife in my BMW 328i with the GM GA6L45R. I changed the original factory fluid at 40k miles with the MaxLife and the shifting improved immensely. The transmission felt much smoother and didn't seem to jerk between gears at lower speeds like it had done before. I changed the fluid, then drove around the block and changed both the fluid and filter. Now 30k miles later (I just hit 70k miles) I just did two drain and fills. I highly recommend the MaxLife in these GM transmissions, and I don't drive this car like grandma. It sees wide open throttle at least twice a day. I hammered the snot out of it several times on tail of the dragon in TN right after the initial fluid change at 40k, and when I changed it just now at 70k the fluid didn't even look dark.

I originally chose this fluid because there is a guy on the BMW forums with the same transmission in his E91 328i wagon. He tracks the car frequently, and his transmission has almost 300k miles on it. Maxlife is what he uses.
Welp, guess I'll try Maxlife out then. How manly L did you use?

I've been using Maxlife or DEXRON VI in my old ZF 5HP 18 for well over 150,000 miles now, it worked flawless as far as I could tell.

260,000 miles total and it turns out the transmission was the most reliable component on the vehicle.

Welp, guess I'll try Maxlife out then. How manly L did you use?
I usually buy 2 gallons of it. A drain and fill on mine is about 3.5 quarts when cold, and I do it twice. I'd buy an extra quart if you also do the filter, since more comes out when you remove the filter. Watch a few videos on the procedure before you do it. It's not difficult, but can be a mess since there is no dipstick and you are relying on fluid to come out the fill hole at a certain temperature with the engine running to check the level. I used a temp gun pointed at the transmission pan.

If you have X-Drive, I would recommend buying the BMW fluid. I did a friend's car with X-Drive and you need about 1 liter of the fluid for that. Mine is RWD so I don't have the transfer case.

Yes filter and IIRC gasket too. While you're under there might want to do the transfer case fluid as well. I believe it's only a quart or liter. Expensive $50+ quart/liter too! I did my transfer case fluid every 50k. Hope that helps.
I heard transfer case fluid on the AWD models a PIA 😅 to get to. Might have my indy do that

I usually buy 2 gallons of it. A drain and fill on mine is about 3.5 quarts when cold, and I do it twice. I'd buy an extra quart if you also do the filter, since more comes out when you remove the filter. Watch a few videos on the procedure before you do it. It's not difficult, but can be a mess since there is no dipstick and you are relying on fluid to come out the fill hole at a certain temperature with the engine running to check the level. I used a temp gun pointed at the transmission pan.

If you have X-Drive, I would recommend buying the BMW fluid. I did a friend's car with X-Drive and you need about 1 liter of the fluid for that. Mine is RWD so I don't have the transfer case.
Yeah, I've got an X-Drive. BMW fluid for the Transmission of Transfer case?

Has anyone used Maxlife ATF in their BMWs with the GM transmissions? I am not due for one yet. But, I am in a year or so and I kind of want to start my research right now and be sure which fluid to use before I go ahead and change it or get it changed at my indy What brand would you guys recommend? I've used Maxlife in my Toyota. But, I am kind of hesitant towards using it in the BMW.

Off of RealOEM.com

View attachment 35677
I have used it in every make. Including Audi with a 6 speed zf. The factory fluid was 20 a quart.
The maxlife was great.

It is on AT models. On manual it is not as complicated, but there is still some gymnastics involved.
Idk how comfortable I am sitting under a car for hours knowing the car is sitting on jack stands 😅 😅. But, yeah I've got an AWD. I think I'll just stick with the Genuine BMW fluid. Rather be on the safe side than trying to use some other fluid that results in a messed-up transmission because I was trying to save $53 dollars buying non-BMW transmission fluid.

Back