Valvoline maxlife 0-20 2000 miles 2020 Nissan Frontier 3.8

Posting for a friend on the club frontier forum, he was over full and suspected fuel in the oil, GDI motor. Apparently the spec is 5.25 quarts and on the refill he measured the .25 specifically and still ended up overfull by that same 1/4 quart. Either the sticks off or the spec should be 5. I just found out this is the same motor as the Nissan GTR without the twin turbos and the 6 figure price tag! That explains a lot it’s a fast reviving powerful motor…rare at 310hp. I have the same truck. Please let us know what you think, I’m new to these reports and don’t know what I’m looking at. I was going to do my first oil change at 5000, the spec is 7500

Attachments

• OIL REPORT.JPG
    OIL REPORT.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 503
It's far too new to make an assessment about the wear metals but this sample doesn't show signs of fuel dilution based on the flash point and the measured percentage.

I'm glad to hear that this new engine is turning out to be pleasurable to drive.

It has API SP approval so the manufacturer of the vehicle is ok with it being used, no reason for you not to other than irrational concern.
Member Bourne here used it in a variety of vehicles even his Chrysler 200. Why is it people get hung up on using high mileage oil in newer vehicles? Input a load of 10w30 SM MAXLIFE Syn in co workers 2018 Hyundai Elantra base model today. 13,997 miles on odometer

Per the owner's manual for the GDI VQ35DD in my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder, it says a 5000mi OCI.

The oil gets so black I can't bring myself to go beyond 3-4K.

I've read of a good 6-8 instances of VQ35DDs sludged so bad the engine had to be replaced and they've only been out since 2017.

Per the owner's manual for the GDI VQ35DD in my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder, it says a 5000mi OCI.

The oil gets so black I can't bring myself to go beyond 3-4K.

I've read of a good 6-8 instances of VQ35DDs sludged so bad the engine had to be replaced and they've only been out since 2017.
Sounds like VQ hasn't improved much at all since the 2000s when it comes to overworking the oil. But as long as this issue exists all the open minded people used Euro rated 0W40/5W40 oils in the VQ engines (I do in the 2008 Infiniti M35) and run for 3k-5k, no more. That seems to keep the engines clean and happy, without any early timing chain failures that VQ engines are known for.

There's a phrase "Not enough mustard on it" while it does pertain to food, when someone says "put some mustard on it" they're saying put more force/effort/energy into it. So when VQs get "the mustard" it means they're really being pushed.
Interesting, I’m 65 and don’t believe I’ve ever heard that before. Never too old to learn something new I guess.

VQs are pretty harsh on oils if you give them mustard. Go for a HTHS of 3.5 and be at peace your engine is as happy as you are.

Could very well be. Late model port injected VQs or the latest DI VQs, Nissan has been recommending 0w20 for them which I don't believe helps the matter. I run 5w30 in mine just because it makes me feel better.

Moly huh? thats nice, the sticker on mine said the motor was built in the USA. I might get a test on my oil to just for fun when I change it at 5000 miles, but kinda of like this guy its a little early to tell anything. I will be using a factory made in Japan oil filter and 5/20 PRIME series synblend its the stuff I get at Sams club it used to be $22 a case just went up to $28 damm inflation! Here in the Arizona desert 5/20 or 0/20 same same right?

Mustard! thats a good one, maybe also a play on the word muster? my favorite antiquated term for go faster or harder is "more Welly" for Wellington rubber boots, it guess its an English thing, ive heard water falls from the sky over there!

Posting for a friend on the club frontier forum, he was over full and suspected fuel in the oil, GDI motor. Apparently the spec is 5.25 quarts and on the refill he measured the .25 specifically and still ended up overfull by that same 1/4 quart. Either the sticks off or the spec should be 5. I just found out this is the same motor as the Nissan GTR without the twin turbos and the 6 figure price tag! That explains a lot it’s a fast reviving powerful motor…rare at 310hp. I have the same truck. Please let us know what you think, I’m new to these reports and don’t know what I’m looking at. I was going to do my first oil change at 5000, the spec is 7500
Can you confirm this is the regular syn blend red bottle maxlife not the full syn grey bottle? The moly is strong in this.

The Blackstone oil analysis comments say fuel dilution can be ruled out for the rising oil level. What else could cause a rising oil level?

Member Bourne here used it in a variety of vehicles even his Chrysler 200. Why is it people get hung up on using high mileage oil in newer vehicles? Input a load of 10w30 SM MAXLIFE Syn in co workers 2018 Hyundai Elantra base model today. 13,997 miles on odometer
That's incredibly pointless and wasteful for that Elantra. All you're doing is ruining the efficiency of the motor with that increased friction

Back