2019 Frontier 4.0L, Pennzoil Platinum 5w30, 4,966 Miles

Hey yall! Here's my most recent UOA on my 2019 Frontier (VQ40DE).

The truck has seen regular full syn oil changes at ~5k. I've gone with mostly Vavoline and Castrol in the past, but decided to switch to PP for the last few changes (I always use the OEM Nissan filter).

Based on what I've read, my main concern with this motor/oil combination was potential oil shearing since PP 5w30 is on the thinner side. Looking at the report, I think the oil has held up pretty well. Let me know what you think..

19 FRONTIER-230402-11024_1.jpg

Last edited:

The truck has seen regular full syn oil changes at ~5k. I've gone with mostly Vavoline and Castrol in the past, but decided to switch to PP for the last few changes (I always use the OEM Nissan filter).

Based on what I've read, my main concern with this motor/oil combination was potential oil shearing since PP 5w30 is on the thinner side. Looking at the report, I think the oil has held up pretty well. Let me know what you think..

View attachment 150555
Very nice report. I would suggest that you remove your personal information though.

What I think???? the sky is falling the sky is falling. Its a vq and you must go thicker thicker thicker :eek:

Is this vehicle not stressed enough? Please abuse it more for some real data.

I was thinking the sp/gf6 required a bit more moly/boron unless something unseen is in their formula. Are you sure this is out of your VQ and not a Toyota? 🤣

It simply worked for you and the 9.1(20grade) cst is nothing to worry about, especially when some say that Blackstoned might read a little lower. I prefer more visc but you really don't need it.

Your interval is a good one for long engine life. Your synth 5w30 every ~5k is working. What's not to like?

You can experiment with different filters, oils, and grades, if you want. But, don't expect anything better.

What I think???? the sky is falling the sky is falling. Its a vq and you must go thicker thicker thicker :eek:

Is this vehicle not stressed enough? Please abuse it more for some real data.

I was thinking the sp/gf6 required a bit more moly/boron unless something unseen is in their formula. Are you sure this is out of your VQ and not a Toyota? 🤣

It simply worked for you and the 9.1(20grade) cst is nothing to worry about, especially when some say that Blackstoned might read a little lower. I prefer more visc but you really don't need it.

Your interval is a good one for long engine life. Your synth 5w30 every ~5k is working. What's not to like?

You can experiment with different filters, oils, and grades, if you want. But, don't expect anything better.
LOL & based on the Universal averages it appears to be a low wearing engine for certain at only 1.69 ppm/1k. Probably no turbo though either on this v6?

View attachment 150567
Good report. Good oil and oci combo.

Back