Castrol Edge Full Sythetic 5w30 - 2012 Nissan Frontier, 101k miles

Hey everyone, here's the most recent UOA on my 2012 Frontier. Changed a little early on this one because the weather was nice. Going to do my next UOA at 125k probably. Sitting at 115k now. Truck runs great!

101k miles - FEB2022.jpg

Was that Castrol Edge black bottle, or Edge EP (gold bottle)? The viscosity in your report is higher than the starting viscosity of black bottle (10.0) but lower than the starting viscosity of EP (10.8). Either way, I'd expect your report to show much lower viscosity than 10.47 if there was significant fuel dilution going on. Maybe you idled the engine a long time right before the oil change?

Last edited:
But is it causing an issue? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Until fuel level increases dramatically, there really isn’t much that can be done but just drive it till the rust takes over.
It certainly isn't helping.

Since this is a port injected application, he might have a sticking injector, or, it could just be the drive cycle for this OCI and it will go back down next. What does catch my eye on that however is that previous OCI's up through 66,000 miles all had no fuel, but the 73,000 mile OCI had a big drop in flashpoint compared to previous ones, and it has gotten worse since then. So, either the driving profile has changed considerably, or something changed around that time period.

I'd say your oil looks good overall. Keep testing to see if the fuel dilution gets worse. 1% is not a big deal. I had a 2007 Dodge Ram diesel that had a fuel dilution problem. When the oil got upward of 4% fuel it caused the oil to act more like a 30-weight. My UOA from 2014.

I'd say your oil looks good overall. Keep testing to see if the fuel dilution gets worse. 1% is not a big deal. I had a 2007 Dodge Ram diesel that had a fuel dilution problem. When the oil got upward of 4% fuel it caused the oil to act more like a 30-weight. My UOA from 2014.
It's not 1%, Blackstone doesn't actually measure fuel, it's probably like 5%.

Back