Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by GaryPoe
First SuperTech now Valvoline
confused.gif
whats going on here...
Man,no doubt huh!
50.gif

I'm going to be paranoid-careful from now on.

+1

Here is an update. I emailed Blackstone labs and explained the issue to the tech who handled my inquiry. Their used oil analysis might or might not come up with useful findings. If this is something like base stock but no additives, their testing would likely recognize that. Anyway, I felt it was worth it to go for it, and I ordered a test kit, which arrived today. I mailed it today, in time for pickup today from that mailbox. So they might have it before Memorial Day. I will share the results when I have them.

Originally Posted by tomlct
Here is an update. I emailed Blackstone labs and explained the issue to the tech who handled my inquiry. Their used oil analysis might or might not come up with useful findings. If this is something like base stock but no additives, their testing would likely recognize that. Anyway, I felt it was worth it to go for it, and I ordered a test kit, which arrived today. I mailed it today, in time for pickup today from that mailbox. So they might have it before Memorial Day. I will share the results when I have them.

That will be interesting to see what they find.

Originally Posted by 77GrandPrix
Originally Posted by GaryPoe
First SuperTech now Valvoline
confused.gif
whats going on here...

I would say that both oils were tampered with in the store or returned to the store after being tampered with. Valvoline and Warren Distribution are quality conscious blenders.

Yep,

Return to the store you bought it at for exchange...assuming it was tampered with pre purchase.

That looks like cooking lard.

Will be REAL interesting to find out what it is.

I doubt it is a case of trolling. More likely there are just some slick mother lovers who have a slick way to open the jugs and swap out the good oil for trash and put the cap back on intact.

Might not even be that hard.

Honestly, I have quite a few jugs that I've opened that have their caps 100% intact. Got the drop on myself a few times because I saw jugs with complete seals on my shelf and yanked them off just to find out there was only a quart in there.

I actually just checked, and I have a jug of Valvoline Dex/Merc that is that way, as well as a couple of jugs of ST. They might be targeted just because it's easy to disturb them while keeping the caps intact.

Originally Posted by tomlct

Any information from Blackstone?

YES! I saw it in my email a few minutes ago. It might indeed be base stock. It is attached.

Attachments - now including PDF. I figured how to conceal my personal info.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 55
Last edited:
Strange indeed. Did you pass this info on to Valvoline, and if so what was their response?

I contacted them originally, and they did compensate me for the cost of this quart of "oil" and my approx. cost of supplies for the oil change I did, so I was OK with that. I asked if they wanted a sample of it, and they declined that offer. Today, I have replied to the email thread I had with them, with this attachment. I will post their reply when I have it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I'd be sending those photos or a link to this thread to Valvoline. No way there is anything normal going on there.

Yep.

Last edited:
They had the photos and production batch number with my original correspondence, and now they have Blackstone's analysis. We will see how they respond.

So no reply from Valvoline, and I sent the last email to them on June 3. Anyway, my takeaway is to look at the oil (anything, really) before adding it to the car. I hate to think if I was not looking and had poured this quart in during an oil change, or worse, if someone who was very irregular about oil changes had 2 or 3 quarts of this in their engine.

This screwed up oil situation reminds me of the guy who used Mobil 1 that apparently turned into goo in his engine. It is wise to pay attention to any oil we intend to put in our engines. I once bought a jug of oil from Walmart that contained used motor oil. I noticed this right before putting it in my engine. I now check the oil cap seal of jugs before I buy them to avoid the hassle of discovering the problem right before I intend to pour it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back