Valvoline extended protection 0w-20

Here is the uoa of the extended protection 0w-20 with 5,000 miles with a wix xp filter.
Only added about a 1/4 of a quart during this oci.
Think I will stretch it out to 7k miles and have another sample done at 7k.

Attachments

• 714553BA-1191-4118-969B-DC2A30A4BE5E.jpeg
    714553BA-1191-4118-969B-DC2A30A4BE5E.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 0F62DAE3-CDBA-4488-8AED-09101370CA35.jpeg
    0F62DAE3-CDBA-4488-8AED-09101370CA35.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 180
Case in point: OP’s UOA has nearly 3 times the moly found in the universal averages, yet his iron is exactly spot on with the UAs.
Makes me wonder, does moly just act as a "sound insulator" per se (all the countless urban legends of moly heavy oils being smooth and quiet)? I see oils contain zero moly and have single digit wear metals on uoas.

Case in point: OP’s UOA has nearly 3 times the moly found in the universal averages, yet his iron is exactly spot on with the UAs.
You have a good point. For years all I’ve heard is molybdenum, apparently it’s not the end all be all of additives, and perhaps none really are. It’s more the combination of additives with the base stocks. Along with many other factors.

Makes me wonder, does moly just act as a "sound insulator" per se (all the countless urban legends of moly heavy oils being smooth and quiet)? I see oils contain zero moly and have single digit wear metals on uoas.
The primary function of moly is as a friction modifier (FM). Yes, it does provide some AW benefits, but that's mostly handled by the oil film and, in the case of mixed/boundary, ZDDP. Moly is also synergistic with ZDDP, but just having "more" doesn't necessarily make wear protection better/more effective, it might just improve FM performance, or it might do nothing at all, that's why we test. Complicating things further, there are of course different types of moly that require different treat rates and moly can also be synergistic with other FM's, requiring a lower treat rate again.

Back