Valvoline extended protection 0w-20

Going out on a limb here, but wouldn’t an oil with Ti (only Castrol at this point and has both moly and Ti) be of benefit here especially with the Hemi camshaft? If most engine wear occurs at start up/warm up and titanium activates at a lower temp than moly, your getting that additional wear protection earlier and then the moly is also there as the oil heats up.
It certainly wouldn't hurt. Try that and go up a viscosity grade from recommended is all you can do. If it's a mechanical failure due to bad metallurgy and/or design, all you might be able to do is extend the time to failure, but it probably won't prevent a failure.

I would think the 0w-40 would trigger the check engine light due to the thicker viscosity.
I’ve seen it before on the hemi ram’s
I’ve been told some are sensitive to it and some are not.
That would be a bad design. Checking my Accent's live data with the Snap On scan tool we have at work shows all variable valve timing values right where it's supposed to be even with 15w-50. This stuff is computer controlled and many modern ECUs are capable of running closed loop within seconds after a cold start, which obviously requires proper valve timing advance/retard for the given situation, even with freezing cold thick oil.

That would be a bad design. Checking my Accent's live data with the Snap On scan tool we have at work shows all variable valve timing values right where it's supposed to be even with 15w-50. This stuff is computer controlled and many modern ECUs are capable of running closed loop within seconds after a cold start, which obviously requires proper valve timing advance/retard for the given situation, even with freezing cold thick oil.
Yes it would be and there is no technical reason for that to happen. What has been seen is that some ECM will monitor the VVT actuators to detect a signature of a higher viscosity oil, this is a nanny system to enforce the CAFE award provisions.

Yes it would be and there is no technical reason for that to happen. What has been seen is that some ECM will monitor the VVT actuators to detect a signature of a higher viscosity oil, this is a nanny system to enforce the CAFE award provisions.
Yup, that's exactly what it is.

The system infers viscosity from oil pressure and oil temperature. The SRT has the exact same system, but runs 0W-40.

I think Valvoline should provide more information on testing that demonstrates proof of performance. Mobil was the best at showing testing and engine tear down photos etc. They did the same thing with Modern Engine. Said it was good for preventing GDI deposits but could never technically say how. I'm not even sure it's possible. The price was significantly higher too which is why the oil is discontinued. For the average buyer it's probably not necessary though. At the moment I'd say Amsoil provides the most information.

Here is my UOA for the Valvoline EP 0W-20 in my Sonata. I guess my early oil changes at 1500 and 4500 miles helped flush out some of the break-in debris.

Attachments

• 6B0D109E-72EA-4AD3-8487-058E33F55EF2.jpeg
    6B0D109E-72EA-4AD3-8487-058E33F55EF2.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 224
A nanny system? Why, once the manufacturer recommends a lighter weight oil, would the manufacturer be responsible to enforce the user to use it? Haven’t they held up their end of the bargain in CAFE regulations? They built an engine designed to handle a 0w16/0w20 oil, to manage an extra 1 mpg of fuel savings. Isn’t that all they’d be required to do?

So is it a nanny system for cafe or a system that is really designed to throw a check engine light because it’s out of the threshold of the parameters set by performance specifications by the manufacturer, to prevent engine damage?

Back