Valvoline extended protection 0w-20

*I noticed Valvoline synthetic oils went up to $30 per jug at my local WM while Pennzoil , Castrol , Quaker State and even Mobil remained the same price (mid to low $20's) .

*I noticed Valvoline synthetic oils went up to $30 per jug at my local WM while Pennzoil , Castrol , Quaker State and even Mobil remained the same price (mid to low $20's) .
That seems to be Walmart's business model. Castrol EP was $25 and now it's $30. Next year Castrol and Valvoline will probably go on 'Rollback' and some of the others will increase in price.

I was in Walmart grabbing some of my workout supplements the other day so I decided to take a stroll down the oil aisle. I think every oil there, what little oil they had,(5 quart jug), was $30 and higher. I might go ahead and grab a jug (if they have any) for my next oil change so I'll actually have some oil to use!

I would think the 0w-40 would trigger the check engine light due to the thicker viscosity.
I’ve seen it before on the hemi ram’s
I’ve been told some are sensitive to it and some are not.

I would think the 0w-40 would trigger the check engine light due to the thicker viscosity.
I’ve seen it before on the hemi ram’s
I’ve been told some are sensitive to it and some are not.

I had M1 0W-40 in my 2019 Ram Hemi and it was fine. Even in below freezing temps. M1 drops down into a heavy 30 after some use.

Look at this post by @OVERKILL about Moly. Note what it says about Moly trimer in the 3rd chart. Cam and lifter (mostly boundry lubrication) protection is very dependant on the AF/AW additives, and Moly is a good AF/AW additive.

I would think less critical in a rollerised valvetrain - at least at the cam end of it. But pushrod ball and cups and rocker tips are often forgotten there is an extreme high load concentration right there.

intake rocker shaft.jpg

Look at this post by @OVERKILL about Moly. Note what it says about Moly trimer in the 3rd chart. Cam and lifter (mostly boundry lubrication) protection is very dependant on the AF/AW additives, and Moly is a good AF/AW additive.

Going out on a limb here, but wouldn’t an oil with Ti (only Castrol at this point and has both moly and Ti) be of benefit here especially with the Hemi camshaft? If most engine wear occurs at start up/warm up and titanium activates at a lower temp than moly, your getting that additional wear protection earlier and then the moly is also there as the oil heats up.

Going out on a limb here, but wouldn’t an oil with Ti (only Castrol at this point and has both moly and Ti) be of benefit here especially with the Hemi camshaft? If most engine wear occurs at start up/warm up and titanium activates at a lower temp than moly, your getting that additional wear protection earlier and then the moly is also there as the oil heats up.
It a roller cam. No sliding wear - until the tappet bearings give up the ghost. Then NO OIL formulation can save it.

hemi tappets.jpg

Gonna run their 5w30. Low VII, nice HT/HS of 3.2 and extra detergency which is what this oil was designed for per Valvoline.

Back