Valvoline extended protection 0w-20

I’ve got a 2011 ram 1500 5.7 hemi, bought it with 103k miles on it, it now has 114k on it.
Since buying it I have been running valvoline extended protection 0w-20 at 5k mile interval’s with a wix oil filter.
I live in Montana where it routinely gets 30 below in the winter months, which is why I chose a 0w-20.
I also chose this oil based on the high amount of moly in it hoping that would help prolong the life of the cam and lifters.
I’m thinking about sending a sample of it off at 5k miles to see how it’s holding up.
Just wondering what interval you would run with this oil, and also wondering if there is a better choice?

What advantage does an extended life oil have at 5,000 mile oil change intervals. Moly probably won't help cam and lifter life. The oil change interval depends on engine design and operation. For example driving the truck to work 2 miles to work then driving 2 miles home is different than driving 40 miles to work them 40 miles home. The winter oil change interval would most likely be shorter than a summer time interval. Thicker oil protects better than a thinner oil.

Last edited:
The Valvoline is a great oil but does your engine call for a 20 grade or a 30 grade?

If 30, I would go with M1 AFE 0w-30.

The amount of moly is not the whole story with any oil.

I’ve got a 2011 ram 1500 5.7 hemi, bought it with 103k miles on it, it now has 114k on it.
Since buying it I have been running valvoline extended protection 0w-20 at 5k mile interval’s with a wix oil filter.
I live in Montana where it routinely gets 30 below in the winter months, which is why I chose a 0w-20.
I also chose this oil based on the high amount of moly in it hoping that would help prolong the life of the cam and lifters.
I’m thinking about sending a sample of it off at 5k miles to see how it’s holding up.
Just wondering what interval you would run with this oil, and also wondering if there is a better choice?
What kind of driving and workload is the truck seeing?

Not a bad oil it's ad pack is stout for protecting and it gets real cold so it's beneficial. If that truck you recently bought used doesn't burn any oil or have any issues i don't see the reason to go up in viscosity at least yet. 5k intervals are conservative and safe so no harm. Oil's cheap at the end of the day. Do you know the service history on it.

The Valvoline is a great oil but does your engine call for a 20 grade or a 30 grade?

If 30, I would go with M1 AFE 0w-30.

The amount of moly is not the whole story with any oil.
They call for a 20 grade in these 5.7 hemis. Had a 2010 ram and now an 18 Durango.

0 and 5w20 are essentially the same thing the OP is doing the right thing. only thing he may find out he can run longer oci’s.

Reactions: pbm
the truck see’s a lot of short distance running around, a lot of stopping and going, starting up and shutting off.
My house is Less then a mile away from my job, drive to work, pick kids up from school which is also less then a mile away.
Go home, occasionally drive it 40 miles to the bigger town for Costco runs ect ect.
Wanting to have a uoa done at 5k to post up here so everyone can have a look at how it’s doing at that interval.
I chose 5k mike intervals cause it’s easy to remember every 5k and I figured no way is that pushing the limits of this oil.

the truck see’s a lot of short distance running around, a lot of stopping and going, starting up and shutting off.
My house is Less then a mile away from my job, drive to work, pick kids up from school which is also less then a mile away.
Go home, occasionally drive it 40 miles to the bigger town for Costco runs ect ect.
Wanting to have a uoa done at 5k to post up here so everyone can have a look at how it’s doing at that interval.
I chose 5k mike intervals cause it’s easy to remember every 5k and I figured no way is that pushing the limits of this oil.
5k seems safe for those habits. How long in months does it take for you to hit that 5k interval. What's the oil consumption if any.

There’s a lot of drivers that have those habits and most likely don’t run that oil or even pay attention to following routine oil changes. You’re fine with what you’re doing.

Do you lose any oil between oil change intervals? If so, consider the high mileage Valvoline full synthetic. Another option which was already mentioned is Mobil 1 0W30. You retain the low pour point and get some more viscosity (if you want).

For a used oil analysis I think 5000 miles is a great place to start, depending on how long it takes to get there. See what the results look like and adjust from there.

The 5k mike intervals have been averaging about 6 months to 7 months.
Very low usage of oil in the 5k miles, maybe 1/4 of a quart.
The first 5k mile interval with the extended protection 0w-20 used about a 1/4 of a quart.
This second interval with it hasn’t used any at all yet and it’s at 4200 so it’s getting close to 5 on the second interval.

What advantage does an extended life oil have at 5,000 mile oil change intervals. Moly probably won't help cam and lifter life.
Look at this post by @OVERKILL about Moly. Note what it says about Moly trimer in the 3rd chart. Cam and lifter (mostly boundry lubrication) protection is very dependant on the AF/AW additives, and Moly is a good AF/AW additive.

I would think a 0W20 would be fine for an engine spec‘d for a 5w20...and that Valvoline EP looks robust in the moly....however I tend to “up” my grade of oil once it’s reached 115,000/120,000 miles. I just believe that the engine at THAT point is not the same as it was new - things have worn a bit, clearances have grown a bit - bumping things up to a 5W30 might not be a bad idea.

It’s just my opinion, and something I’ve done in the past. And I realize 5W30 isn’t that different than a 0W20, but I like to experiment a little bit, plus there might be a little bit of logic behind this one (not sure how much).

In regard to viscosity, I think the 0w20 Valvoline EP is a good choice in winter. The 5w30 looks solid too with a HT/HS of 3.2. I don't know much about the engine, but at the milage you are at I'd consider a 30 grade. See what a UOA shows before you jump.

For our 2011 Hemi the oil was almost wore out at 5k. Tried valvoline and pennzoil. Don't push it. We got 172k out of ours even at 5k intervals and top of the line filters like RP, Amsoil, Wix XP, Fram Ultra, and Purolator Boss

Back