Valvoline aft+4 = group IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline's atf+4 is labeled as "fully synthetic" Does this mean it's a group IV base oil?

I'm wondering if i could get better performance/economy , and less shudder with a better atf+4 fluid. That is, a licensed fluid.

Are there any comparisons available for different atf +4 brands?

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that multi spec atf can do the job of atf+4.

Originally Posted By: TrentMiller
Valvoline's atf+4 is labeled as "fully synthetic" Does this mean it's a group IV base oil?

I'm wondering if i could get better performance/economy , and less shudder with a better atf+4 fluid. That is, a licensed fluid.

Are there any comparisons available for different atf +4 brands?

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that multi spec atf can do the job of atf+4.

I don't know the answer to your first question (PAO content)

As far as whether some ATF+4s are better than others, I have read (don't take it as gospel) that the spec on ATF+4 is extremely tight. There's so little wiggle room that basically means that all ATF+4s are created pretty much equal. I'm sure there are minor differences, but I don't know whether they're significant or not. I think nailing that spec down hard enough to prevent major product-to-product variation was one of Chrysler's main objectives in writing it.

And I agree- no "universal" ATF will come close to equalling real ATF+4 in an ATF+4 application.

Doubt it. Full synthetic includes Group III and at its price, is what to expect.

Its possible for a multi spec ATF to do an equivalent, worse, or even better job then ATF+4.

Concerning differences or similarities, you are at the mercy of the blender meeting the spec. I noticed differences between brands.

While i know that part of being licensed is a specific add pack from lubrizol, from what i understand the base oil used can be either group III or IV, this document; http://u225.torque.net/cars/tech/trans/982674.pdf (sae paper) pretty much states that they were trying to make this super wow fluid that lasts 100k (w/o friction modifier breakdown, witch causes tcc shudder), from group III base stock.

So, blenders have the freedom to add additional additives to the fluid, and where the base oil comes from, and the type of base oil used, is up in the air. For instance Licensed supertec (wallmart) atf+4 can not possibly be a group IV (based on price) but it apparently has to be a group III, and also has the same add pack as a 7 dollar /qt brand.

What i really want to find out is of the licensed atf's, witch are better?

This document; http://www.centerforqa.com/images/Licensed_Brands.pdf lists Licensed Atf+4 brands as of 08, and they are probably others.

I used Valvoline atf+4 from napa because it was 4.33 a quart and said "fully synthetic" It only cost me 70 something dollars for a case of 12 and a few spares.

Supertec did not say it was fully synthetic, and it was VERRY low priced, i think 3 dollars.

Mobile 1 super atf +4 is a syn blend, as per http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLMOMobil_Super_ATF_4.pdf

Wallmart used to sell the mopar fluids, but a WEEK before i decided to buy, they took em off the shelves, and there was a note saying they were replacing it with Valvoline and Pennzoil atf +4 (witch they still do not have in stock)

While i am sure that Valvoline is an excellent atf, I still have shudder, and it's not my trans. Maby it's not shudder, maby it's just harmonics from a 4 cyl diesel but it feels like rumble strips. I have new drive line/shafts/u-joints etc, and my trans is in excellent condition.

Anyway i figured I would seek a better fluid, and that, is why I'm here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back