Valvoline 0W20 Advanced Synthetic Oil Test Results (PQIA May , 2022)

Compare both MSDS's.... drastically different. Those trade secrets are what makes the EP and Adv so different. We can't see 'secrets' in the datasheets, SDS's, or VOA's. Might see it in UOA's for someone that wants to use both for extended intervals and compare multiple trends.
Funny they list the same CAS-No. three times! Likely some college kid summer intern job writing SDS.

Like I said they cost the same. The difference in cost is lost on how far you have to drive to
pick it up. Cost me 5 bucks round trip in gas to go to my local Walmart - so it's a combined trip for Groceries, pet food, clothes shopping and ... motor oil.

psst, wanna hear a secret? ran Valvoline Advanced but I am loving the new Quaker State 10W30 FS !
10W is the special secret. Killer oil -54 Celsius pour point.
mild winter ready regardless of its 10W.

Super smooth, quiet, slick, powerful and economical - what else is there ?

Super smooth, quiet, slick, powerful and economical - what else is there ?

A 50:50 mix of the EP and AdvFS?

Goes to show that 'tech writers' are ?able, and we shouldn't judge an oil by the posted info on the manufacturer's website.

Did Projectgarden,, SnottyDilmer, or 540rodent give your QS FS 10w30 an approval yet? With freezer tilt pour testing, a silly accent/grin, or some PSI rating, it might not be as good as QS claims.

A 50:50 mix of the EP and AdvFS?

Goes to show that 'tech writers' are ?able, and we shouldn't judge an oil by the posted info on the manufacturer's website.

Did Projectgarden,, SnottyDilmer, or 540rodent give your QS FS 10w30 an approval yet? With freezer tilt pour testing, a silly accent/grin, or some PSI rating, it might not be as good as QS claims.
Yep, oil SDS are always very suspect.

I have put many a syn oil in a -40 deep freezer at my old lab, and they all poured easily surprisingly - even though they shouldn't have. If it's just ten below - I'm not going out. Being retired its my prerogative.
Kilmer, Rat, PF and others are just putting on a show for dough. Funny how many uneducated and ignorant people are out there still. Makes me want to think up a royal scam or my own :)

Been building cars for over a 1/2 century. I know a good Earl when I run it. That's all I need is me.

Been using Valvoline since 1985. As long as you change oil at reasonable oci, Engine will stay clean and run for a very long time.
Right!

Back in the day, I ran DuraBlend 5W-30 in an Olds Bravada from 20,000 to 275,000 miles. It spent most of its life "outside in the driveway" of cold Alaska. Nary a failure. Ever.

That drive-train was the most solid of any vehicle I've ever owned. I attribute that, in part, to good to great oil and regular, almost clockwork-like, maintenance by me. Rightly so, Valvoline is a premium product.

OTOH, I did NOT have the same results with Mobil-1 in another nominally reliable GM engine. Same maintenance attention, yet an engine was lost. Once bitten, twice shy. Since then, others have conveyed similar issues with that product. I'm not the only one...

My advice (like so many others) is to 1) find the product your vehicle seems to run well using, and 2) accomplish regular maintenance. I firmly believe this is even more important given today's DI engines. Change their oil at HALF the typical OLM's read (accoplish an OCI @ 50%). For me, that's between 3000 and 3500 miles in my current DI 4-banger.

Last edited:
Back