Valve stem extensions for passenger cars

Recently bought a couple of new tires for an 06 Elantra. The big box tire store put the really short valve stems on them (I did not specify length and never have). They barely extend beyond the factory wheel covers.
Couple days ago bought a package of Slime brand 1 1/4 in. valve stem extensions (Part no. 2047-A) to install on the shorty valve stems. The pictograms on front of blister pack they are packaged in show a pick-up/SUV and an RV, (e. g. vehicles typically used for). Fine print on back of package states against them being used on passenger cars. Anyone have any input or knowledge as to why they would not be recommended for a passenger car?

Last edited:
The weight of the extension pulls the rubber valve stem outward at high speeds, and can cause a leak. In much the same way as pulling it sideways by hand. By the way, the Slime ones are pretty good. Some other brands fail pretty quickly.

Lawyers. My dad is a retired attorney.

I wouldn't worry about. You'd think the metal and rubber on a longer stem is actually heavier than the plastic extension if they equaled the same length. I don't have one, but with a drug scale it'd be interesting to weigh short, long and short with a plastic extension.

I put extensions like that on my new 1976 Plymouth Volare. Not too long after that one day I went to use the car and a tire was flat. We had very high curbs back then and the end of the extension had a white center section that when depressed was long enough inside of the extension to depress the shredder valve so an air hose could be used to fill it with out having to remove any cap. That white part was still touching the side of the curb even now that the tire had deflated and lowered in height. I ended up throwing those away.

Moral of story: do not use any extensions that stick out any if you ever park it near high curbs.

Back