Reliable Valve Stem Core Brand? Where to buy.

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Friend has an, 08 Buick Lacrosse that is constantly losing air pressure and triggering TPMS. Mechanic replaced one valve stem and we figured we'd replace the remainder. He bought a hundred or so on amazon, with red seals for a few bucks. Replaced the 3 remaining tires and they all leaked, swapped out with another set and those leaked are leaking as well. We are pretty sure its the valve stems because the tires are new and the rims are fine.

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand or supplier of high quality valve stems? I saw a 4 pack for sale at Auto Zone by the "slime" brand but might as well get more than 4 to keep handy.

I use the Slime cores but it could be the stems themselves or if the tires had lots of dust or dirt from sitting before install and the guy did not blow them out you can get leaks from grit blowing by when you check pressure or the stem just does not seat straight when you release it. We use to always replace valve stems when changing tires but now with TPMS the same stem stays in place until the sender needs to be replaced and I am surprised there are not more cracked and leaking stems. A spray bottle with 5 or 6 drops of dish soap is your friend here. You will be able to see if the leak is internal or external.

To elaborate a little more, the mechanic put a new value stem core from their inventory which fixed the issue with one of the tires. We are willing just to throw some cheap cores at the problem to see if that solves it since we think the amazon cores are junk. Just need a good supplier or company. All of the ones on amazon have a red seal which doesn't seem very flexible and I think it leaks when its cold.

Back